Author Topic: Coat of arms and royalty  (Read 2724 times)

Offline meug J70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coat of arms and royalty
« on: Sunday 02 October 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, apparently i have a coat of arms and im related to royalty somewhere or somehow, ive heard i have connections to William of Orange and Prince Albert, and that i have a seat in a castle of that im an Earl of someplace, that i havent found yet,any help would be most welcomed so i can find out.......

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of arms and royalty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Where did you hear this?
Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.
http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Faq.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
The College of Arms  have the full records of the coats of arms and pedigrees of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Commonwealth families and their descendants.  http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/

Stan

Offline meug J70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 11 17:28 BST (UK) »
i have looked at the site and it doesnt say much, either the records are wrong or my dad is holding back on items, but my grandad said the same thing when he was alive and would so much like to find out how much is true

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
The only way to solve your mystery is to trace your family tree back step by step, checking the documents at each stage. You may eventually trace descent from a noble family or royalty. I am a direct descendant of several royal families (they tend to be linked by marriages), but am personally entitled to no coat of arms, crest, or even a very modest palace!

What you should do is tell us where you think this link is. Where have you traced your family back to with absolute certainty?

Graham.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
i have looked at the site and it doesnt say much, either the records are wrong or my dad is holding back on items, but my grandad said the same thing when he was alive and would so much like to find out how much is true

They don't have records on their site, you would have to ask them to do research, and that is expensive.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
There is the Directory of Royal Genealogical Data http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/genealogy/royal/
Can you tell me how I am related to royalty
It is not uncommon for people of British ancestry to descend from some Royal or other. It has been said by some that all English descent from Edward I and all Scots from Malcolm III. Therefore there is no particular cachet in having any royal ancestors, but proving it is another matter entirely!
http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/genealogy/royal/FAQ.html#Q4
Stan

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
.....ive heard i have connections to William of Orange .......

Good luck in sorting that one out. There were several William's of Orange and the regnal numbering of them leaves a lot to be desired - as you will find out if you dig into the subject
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
If as you suggest you have any right to an Earldom then if you enter your surname on the Burke's Peerage site then all should be revealed.  As Stan said coats of arms and similarly peerages are inherited down the male line through the eldest surviving son. 
If you are not descended through a line of eldest sons it is probably a waste of time loking any further.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk