Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox  (Read 11520 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:28 GMT (UK) »
It could very well be  AVG!

Many years ago, at someone's recommendation, I installed the prof version of AVG. Never again! as  it was impossible to run anything while AVG was updating/scanning. I got rid of it and installed another AV program and everything was fine again  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes I installed AVG pro after i decided that the Virgin program wasn't doing the job well enough. Though I was and am paying for it as part of my package I replaced the Virgin program. If as seems likely it is AVG then having previously had issues with Norton, Macafee and Kaspersky (too slow, Putin reads every file ;) ) which do I try next. I quite liked Avast, but it was a bit complicated I found.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I have never had any trouble with AVG the paid version and had it for years. Glad though to get rid of that stupid notification that was coming up. Up dates without any loss of function. When I scan I let it go on its own and don't try to do stuff whilst its doing it. What is the point you may be adding files at the time for it to scan, would be never ending. Like running water into a bucket whilst trying to empty it. 

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 21 November 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I've never been a fan of AVG, although I've never used it myself.  I've heard of too many friends and other people on forums having trouble with it.  It's a bit like Norton, which others have described as the worst trojan of them all  ;D
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Trouble when trying to help people (on here and other forums) you aren't privy to  what else they have on their computers which will conflict with other programmes and AV. I have been having a load of trouble with a member who has had difficulty in logging onto my forum.  She just doesn't listen and do the basics first :- clear cache, cookies and temporary internet files. Got to know the other day she had never done a defrag Talk about head banging. Some will even have 2 AV's running at once or haven't got rid of the previous ones

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Quite so,  jksd  :)

However, don't be too critical - she (and all the other people that you criticise)  can probably do lots of things that you can't.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 21 November 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Quite so,  jksd  :)

However, don't be too critical - she (and all the other people that you criticise)  can probably do lots of things that you can't.

gnu

Was I criticising anyone?  You may be right but at least I would have tried to sort it out and done the basics before asking for help. Google is great for that

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 21 November 11 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I was amazed when my late brother in law said his system was running slowly. This was around 2007. After talking to him it was the W95 system he had used since the mid 1990s and he had never defragmented the computer! I know to of several other cases, I ask people who mention they have slow running computers about defragging and they just give a blank look.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 21 November 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »
The problem always is that no two computers will ever be the same.  Different hardware, different operating systems, different software installed, different BIOS versions, connected to the internet via different ISPs, different websites visited, the number of different permutations is nearly infinite. 
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk