Author Topic: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin  (Read 8998 times)

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin
« on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
I have found that two of my great uncles lived with their stepmother in a tenement on Marlborough Street in 1911.   

I am not very familiar with Dublin, can anyone tell me anything about the area, and whether these buildings still exist.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Marlborough Street, Mountjoy, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
what number on Marlborough St ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Number 46.

Alex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
In 1914 numbers 45 to 47  were tenements, and located in the eastern side of Marlborough St between the junctions with Gloucester Street Upper and Parnell Street. (Gloucester Street Upper is now named Sean McDermott St Upr).

As well as the tenements at 45/47 the section of the street had a number of businesses including, stationery supplier, a dairy, bootmaker, pawnbroker, newsagent and a draper.

Other features on the street included the department of education, the Pro Cathedral (St. Mary's) and St. Thomas Church of Ireland.

Most of Marlborough Street has been redeveloped over the years and that section now has modern offices.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 October 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I had a walk down Marlborough Street on Google Earth, and can see exactly where you mean.
Alex

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 October 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
I think this photo is the section mentioned.
The street in the distance is Parnell Street and the photo was taken roughly from the Sean McDermott Street junction.
I'm not 100% sure of the date, but I have it saved as 1929.

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 October 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Now that I look at it more closely, it may be 1932 for the Eucharistic Congress.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline alexb123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 October 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Wow, that is amazing, thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this. My great uncles must have lived in one of these buildings, presumably on the right hand side of the road, in 1911.

As one of them was born in 1905, he could have still been there in 1932 when your photo was taken. He would certainly have had vivid memories of such a  big event on his very doorstep.

The buildings on Parnell Street in the photo seem to be unchanged today on Google Earth.

I didn't know anything about the Eucharistic Congress or the Dublin tenements last week, what an education you can get by following up information on this forum.

Thanks again

Alex

Offline Matt100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I just wondered if there were any other photos of Marlborough St.
My great Grandad James Farrell lived at #112 in 1911. He ran a hotel/pub from there.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Matt