Author Topic: St Davids, Brecon  (Read 12600 times)

Offline bmalgd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Davids, Brecon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 December 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am still trying to locate baptismal, marriage, and burial records for St. Davids.  The family name in question is MARTIN.  According to the census of 1841, there were 34 people in Breconshire that were named Martin, half of whom lived in the parish of St Davids.  These 17 people were all connected.

The earliest date I know is 12 May 1795 when a William and Elizabeth Martin had three sons (William, John and Henry) baptized.  William is not in the census of 1841, so it would seem clear that he had passed away before then.  Son William is also absent from the census. Elizabeth, however, was still alive in 1841 and in 1851.  In fact, in the census of 1851, she is listed as 99 years of age.  I believe that Elizabeth died in 1852. 

The census returns clearly show that the other sons, John and Henry, and a younger brother, Thomas, continued to live in Brecon. I would gratefully accept any help you could give me.  You could also contact me at my email:  bmalgd at hotmail.com
Ball - Somerset
Holmes - Derbyshire
Martin - Brecon & Ferndale

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 12 22:41 GMT (UK) »
You've probably already got this but just in case:
- Thomas was baptised on 8 Jan 1797. And there's a marriage for Thomas on 1 Jun 1819 (to Alice Watkins).
- There's a Henry Martin marriage to Catherine Price on 14 Sep 1823
The burial info only seems to start in 1860 though there are earlier ones written among the baptisms up til 1811.
Deirdre

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline bmalgd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre,

Yes, I did already find those things that you mentioned, but I do appreciate your help!

David
Ball - Somerset
Holmes - Derbyshire
Martin - Brecon & Ferndale

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have access to the parish records on FindMyPast and discovered that some of my deceased relatives are not mentioned even though I know for a fact that they are buried in the churchyard.  Any ideas please

Offline rita tait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 February 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Re. Walters of Llanfaes/St David's Brecon I am descended from a family of this name/place & would be happy to exchange info though I don't have a huge amount yet. My g x 4 grandad was Edward  Walters I think married to a Margaret. His daughter Elizabeth married a John Jenkins in Watergate Chapel. I need to look more closely at this side of my family as it is some years since I made notes on them but would welcome the chance to do some work on Llanfaes ancestors with someone else.