Author Topic: Your Family Tree on your TV - Volunteers Wanted!  (Read 2176 times)

Offline clipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Your Family Tree on your TV - Volunteers Wanted!
« on: Thursday 06 October 11 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I've been working for a few months on a system that enables me to produce a DVD disc containing family trees, pedigree charts etc. for viewing on a standard TV set.
NO Computer is required to view!

The system has moved on considerably since I last offered it for trial.

The system uses a GEDCOM file that most genealogy applications are able to export.
Photographs, Videos and scans of documents can also be included on the DVD.
The main advantage is that copies of the DVD can be passed on to family members that do not have a computer, but do have a standard DVD player and TV set.

Navigation through the pedigrees/charts is by means of the Up, down, left, right arrow keys on the DVD player's remote control keypad.

I'm looking for a few volunteers to trial the system.

There is absolutely no cost to anyone that takes part in the trial and they will each receive a free copy of their DVD.
In return, I will require trialists to provide feedback on their experience and any suggestions they may have for improvements.

If you are interested in taking part, please let me have the following - via PM

1.  The name of the genealogy application that you use (Family Tree Maker, Rootsmagic, PAS etc)
2.  The approximate number of individuals in your family tree database
3.  The number of photographs, videos, slideshows and document scans (if any) that are linked to your family tree database.

I will later ask the people taking part in the trial to provide me with a copy of a GEDCOM file produced by their application.
If you're not sure about GEDCOM files, don't worry, I'll explain what you need to do!

Please note that it is not the software that I am offering for trial. It is the DVD produced by my software that is on offer.

All information supplied to me will be treated in the strictest confidence and will not be made available to anyone else.

Please do not send any files yet!

Thanks for reading this and I hope you will consider taking part in the trial.     

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: Your Family Tree on your TV - Volunteers Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 October 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
I'm just thinking about this, having just read it.   

I think I may be interested.    But I have a bit of work to do on a tree.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline clipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
A couple of people have asked how many people can be included on a DVD.

I've successfully produced sample DVD's  containing over 2000 individuals.
This is not the limit.

Depending on the number of marriages in the tree, photos and  videos  included on the DVD, I estimate a DVD could contain around 5000 individuals.

clipper

Offline clipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to the members of this and other Forums that are taking part in the free DVD/TV trial.

I now have more than enough people taking part in the trial and therefore, I do not require any more GEDCOM files.

I will be sending out the first few DVD's w/c 24/10/2011 and I will notify people individually by direct email just before they are posted.

Thanks,

clipper