Author Topic: Tullee Co Clare  (Read 4934 times)

Offline bosretd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tullee Co Clare
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where the town of Tullee is in County Clare? My gggrandfather Patrick Scully was born in the early 1820's in County Clare. He served in the 25th Infantry for over 20 years and I have his military discharge papers. These state that he was born in the parish of Tullee in or near the town of Tullee in county Clare. He joined up at Limerick in 1838.

I can find no record of anywhere called Tullee in county Clare and am beginning to think that his Irish accent may have been mistranslated by the English recruitment officer. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Brian Slater :)
Ackroyd Ashmore Ball bennett Booth(Stone - Staffs 1840) Bramwell Brookes Burgess Cherrozlei(Manchester 1830-1890) Ellis Gittins Griffiths Hill Hinks Hitchen Holliss Hoyle Leigh Millett Oldfield Ollerenshaw Parry Pierce Ratcliffe Roberts(Llanarman-Yn-Ial 1780s) Sanson Scully(Tullee Co Claire 1820s) Slater(Colne/Burnley 1790-1830) Swain(Gawsworth) Swindells(Gawsworth) Thompstone(Gawsworth)† Williamson

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tullee Co Clare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
You can search for Irish townlands on this site:

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad

I canít see a Tullee. Thereís a Tulla Town, a couple of townlands called Tulla, and another one called Tullagh. They seem the nearest.
Elwyn

Offline bosretd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info will try this site

Brian
Ackroyd Ashmore Ball bennett Booth(Stone - Staffs 1840) Bramwell Brookes Burgess Cherrozlei(Manchester 1830-1890) Ellis Gittins Griffiths Hill Hinks Hitchen Holliss Hoyle Leigh Millett Oldfield Ollerenshaw Parry Pierce Ratcliffe Roberts(Llanarman-Yn-Ial 1780s) Sanson Scully(Tullee Co Claire 1820s) Slater(Colne/Burnley 1790-1830) Swain(Gawsworth) Swindells(Gawsworth) Thompstone(Gawsworth)† Williamson

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Tulla and Tullagh are the same place, the latter being the older version of the spellin of Tulla. The www. clarelibrary.ie is an invaluable website for anyone looking for help or information on historical or geneolgical information in the Clare area, you will be hooked.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Actually, according to http://www.thecore.com/seanruad, there is a town and townland of Tulla (Tulla parish) and townlands Tulla (Kilkeedy parish), Tullagh (Drumcliff parish), as well as Tullagh Upper and Tullagh Lower.
If you go to the above website and search for townlands beginning with 'tulla' you'll see more details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bosretd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses - I will pursue the thought that Tullee and Tulla are one and the same.

Brian :)

Offline kreewater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 12 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

I have a Bridget Scully who was born in the 1820's and came from County Clare.  I don't know what exact area but she married into the Hogan family and they all came from around Ballyquinn Beg or generally from the Killokennedy parish.  Is there any possibility that she may have been related to your Patrick Scully by any chance?  I have paid an enormous amount of money out to researchers who have been able to find nothing as it was too early for registration of her birth or even marriage.  She married in the mid 1840's.

Offline bosretd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I have no Bridget Scully's in my tree.

Brian

Offline kreewater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian,

If you come across one in your research would you mind getting back to the board please?  I'm not giving up yet. I'd appreciate your keeping her in the back of your mind.  Thanks.