Author Topic: Dublin mystery - who is Georgina?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dublin mystery - who is Georgina?
« on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
While searching through the new Dublin church records, I was following up on the more unusual first names in the family when I came across a problem.  One of the most frequent godparents associated with my direct ancestor and his "known" siblings in the 1850s and 1860s was called Georgina McLoughlin and usually appears with a William McLoughlin (or one of many latin forms of this name).

I decided to look for a William married to a Georgina and then hit a snag.  Either there are a number of William McLoughlins married to Georginas at this period, or there is a huge range of variation in the recording of her maiden name.  Or did the same William marry more than one Georgina (I can't yet find a marriage)?  Just to make it more difficult, the family name may also appear as McLaughlin, McLoghlin, M'Loughlin, or simply Loughlin.

Can anyone tell me who she is or where she came from?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin mystery - who is Georgina?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think it would help people to help you if you were a little more specific in what you are asking.    You say you haven't found a marriage, yet also say you have found many variations in the names and wonder whether there were two marriages.   Can you spell out exactly what information you have, and then perhaps people will have something clearer to go on?     Thanks.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
I was trying to find the maiden name of a Georgina who was the wife of a William McLoughlin in the 1850s and 1860s and probably after that too, but I've hardly found more than one record that gives the same name even when other data suggest that it could be the same couple.

Maybe what I am asking is: is Georgina Coalbin the same person as Georgina Grabham, Grabin, Grapin, Grattan and, if so, what is her real name (i.e. what evidence is there to decide what family she came from?) and if not, are there two or more separate people here?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
I think the only way you will resolve this is by examining the microfilmed registers.  I had a look at the William McLoughlin/Georgina references on Irishgenealogy.ie and could only find one where the register page had been imaged.  The surname seemed clearly to be Grabham on that one.  A trip to the National Libraray might be productive.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying dermo,

There is at least another one that the transcriber didn't even attempt that looks like someone has overwritten it with a correction.  The final mess looks more like Corbin to me but that just adds to the problem.  I can't imagine what sort of accent she must have had, if it was just one person who inspired all these alternative name forms.

I imagine the marriage was probably at St Paul's, Arran Quay, some time a little before 1857 when the first baptism at St Andrew's show up (or maybe earlier if there are other baptisms there).  This is just a guess but I know that the church was used by other members of the family and I think that it's the only one in the area not now in the collection.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has access to transcriptions or will be going through the films anyway and could take a look.  Otherwise it's on the back burner until I can arrange another visit to Dublin.

Another question, some of the marriages at St Andrew's have been imaged but I have not yet found any baptisms.  Does anyone know if they are continuing to add images to the records that are already on-line with just transcriptions?

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
DudleyWinchurch - The records of St Paul's - Arran Quay are online on Rootsweb.ie. The fact that they have them is most likely why they are not on IrishGenealogy.ie. They have 5 William McLoughlin's (+ varients) listed between 1810 - 1855 being married there. The search is free but the actual record will cost 5 euro to see. The one from 1855 could be interesting to you.
http://dublinnorth.rootsireland.ie/quis.php?searchType=bas
If my link doesn't work make sure to go to the Advanced search feature where you will get the option to search for St Paul's only and not the whole of North County Dublin. (a costly mistake I have made many times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 11 01:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry the website with St Paul's - Arran quay records is www.rootsireland.ie and not rootsweb.ie as I wrote above.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Adee101,

thanks for your help in puzzling this out.  I tried the rootsireland site but the William who married in 1855 does not appear to have married a Georgina, if I have done the correct search.

He also didn't seem to have a father called William, so doesn't seem to be the one that I am looking for.

I think that I am going to concentrate on the irishgenealogy.ie site and compile a list of all the St Paul's entries and the baptisms from St Andrew's and St Michan's, that I need as I suspect that it is already long enough to justify a trip to the NL in Dublin rather than buying "unseen" records on the web.

In the meantime, I did a search and discovered a Georgina Grabham baptised in County Dublin who was almost the same age as our William.  The only discrepancy is that it was a CoI baptism and William's Georgina must have been or become a catholic as she was sponsor to so many catholic baptisms.

thanks again for your time and effort,
Sheila

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin mystery - who is Georgina? Mystery now solved
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who tried to help with this query.

Mysteriously, a further search on irishgenealogy.ie has brought up a marriage at the ProCathedral that I hadn't seen before (both family names slightly mistranscribed but not enough to have eluded earlier searches, I would have thought).

Parents' names, addresses and witnesses confirm that this is our William (GGGuncle), so a whole new line to follow.  Fortunately the children with the most wildly different mother's maiden names shoul have birth records to compare, so this mystery is now well on the way to being solved.