Author Topic: Ship Builder 1901 - Ormesby  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ship Builder 1901 - Ormesby
« on: Monday 10 October 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Can anyone tell me where my great great great grandfather Hunter Whitehead may have been working if he was listed in the 1901 census as a Ship Builder living in Ormesby? I dont know the area at all but assume Ormesby was a village and therefore not sure where the local shipyard/docks would likely have been. I'm interested in finding out about the industry at the time just to give a bit of background to my research - brings my ancestors to life a bit more.

Thanks as always - S

Offline ed5344

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Builder 1901 - Ormesby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie,   
                  He would have been working in the Middlesbrough area on the river Tees.   Shipbuilding and Iron and Steel making were very prolific in this a region.  Ormesby village is about 3 or 4 miles from the river, but a suburb of Middlesbrough called North Ormesby is only a stones throw from the river and shipyards.

Eddie.

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eddie thats really helpful. I'll google the ship building industry in the area at the time to see if I can find out more about the type of work he would have been doing. He obviously didn't like it, he was sweeping roads for Middlesbrough corporatin (local authority I assume) by 1911  :)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
Smith's Dock was probably the most prolific ship builder on the south bank of the river Tees  at that time, I seem to remember a site that was/is dedicated to the skills of the Smith's Dock men and the vessels they built.

James

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks james, much appreciated, I'll look it up now :)

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'd just thought I'd mention my farther worked on the river tees witch goes from doggy market up to south bank and granetown on the river over the road from British steel coke ovens and number 1 / 2 /  3  blast furnises with number 4 / 5 furnises were thay made pig iron for the ship so thay stay stable on the see's  the website communicate as stopped working  but you can have a look at Francis faith website that have 10000 of pictures of any town full of information hope it helps