Author Topic: George Dean  (Read 4582 times)

Offline morrisg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Dean
« on: Tuesday 11 October 11 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am from New Zealand and researching my family tree
The first of our ancestors to arrive in New Zealand was George.  He  came on the Canterbury Association Ship"Canterbury" with his wife Hannah and seven children. They landed in Lyttleton on the 21st of October 1851 after leaving England on the 21st of June 1851 as assisted emigrants. Hannah being his second wife. Mary Ann ? George’s first wife – died on 23 Jan 1850 aged 41. She died of consumption (tuberculosis) – phthisis.                                 
Before coming to New Zealand George Dean lived at Macclesfield, Cheshire, England where he worked as a silk weaver.  He moved there as a young man drawn where he was born at Chapel en le Frith Derbyshire.
 His father was James Dean, a cotton spinner, and his mother was Ann.  His  father lived to be 83 and his mother 96.                                 
Chapel en le Frith is a small market town 20 miles east nor East from Macclesfield.  The name Chapel en le Frith came from an ancient church or Chapel within the peak"frith" or forest.  It had a population of   4647.                                                                   
  George then married in 1850 Hanna Rathbone, they had one child before    leaving England in 1851 with the children from the first marriage.   

sorry if this post is to long would appreciate any help
George Dean(Chapel en le Frith Derbyshire, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England) and
 Hannah Rathbone Jury ( England)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Dean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hello i know this has been hanging around for a long while, but when i'm not busy with other researches i sometimes trawl through old ones.....so hope you get this......

Chapel-en-le-Frith was in the same Deanery as Mellor. the parents of George were "of Chapel en le frith, but the baptisma took place at Mellor as follows:-

JAMES DEAN married Ann Stafford 07.04.1795

They had the following three children:-

GEORGE 17.08.1801
James 08.06.1802
Joseph 19.03.1804.

Hope this helps.......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline morrisg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information..another piece in the puzzle solved. Little puzzled over the date  JAMES DEAN married Ann Stafford 07.04.1795 as it seems along time for those days before they had their first child ... apologetic for my ignorance in advance :) as I am very new to this. If you could suggest anywhere I could get info on this line of the Dean family it would be gratefully appreciated ( free if possible as don't have much in the way of funds )
Morris

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Morris.......then welcome to this tortuous and exciting game! Don't go spending money when there are so many people who have already done so and are more than willing to help you.
Just ask the questions and somebody will either answer them or point you in the right direction.
All we need from you is as much as you can tell us, what specifically you are looking for..and the odd please or thankyou.......nothing works better than a bit of appreciation..and yu'd be surprised how many people think they have a god given right to demand an answer and never show any appreciation.......unlike you, who already had done so.

I'm sure i cam take you frward with the dean family, if you let me know what you need.

Don't worry about the six years before the first child..although you're right, most families had their first child within nine months..many before!!...but it is not uncommon to see quite long periods before the first child.
Having said that, i may have missed one, or perhaps a child,or two even were born and died unbaptised....
I look forward to hearing from you.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline morrisg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply, I am just really trying to trace the Dean ancestors from England (dates of births, marriages and deaths etc ).

The information that I have was given to me from an aunt in my family and had ended at that little piece of information I had on James Dean.

I would guess that tracing any further that would be very difficult but appreciate what you have done for me.

Morris