Author Topic: Sale/Seale/Whiteside Ballinasloe/Kiltormer  (Read 5816 times)

Offline wenrob13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sale/Seale/Whiteside Ballinasloe/Kiltormer
« on: Thursday 13 October 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Richard Sale/Seale who married a Elizabeth Whiteside approx 1765, there daughter Bridget married a Mark West. Bridget died in Victoria, Australia and her death cert stated she was born Galway abt 1768-1770. The reason for looking at Ballinasloe is that her daughter Sarah West married a Luke O'Brien/O'Bryan and the shiiping records on there immigration to Victoria Australia gives Kiltormer, Ballinasloe as where they were from.
We have absolutely no information at all of the Irish side of our family and are not really sure if the Sale/Seale/Whiteside connection is from Galway. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sale/Seale/Whiteside Ballinasloe/Kiltormer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
there are about four places named Kiltormer in Co. Galway - the town which is located about 15km south of Ballinsaloe, two townlands named Kiltormer East and West and the Civil parish of Kiltormer which covers an area around the town including just under 30 townlands.

Ballinasloe was located on the border between counties Galway and Roscommon.

see Ballinasloe to Kiltormer town

The dates you are searching for are probably well before the start of available records for the area - do you know which denomination your
Seale/Whiteside families were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wenrob13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Many thanks for the prompt reply, the town of Laurencetown is mentioned in some of our data, we believe that is where Sarah West married Luke O'Brien.
Sarah married Luke in the RC Church howver her brother Henry who immigrated at the same time was listed as protestant. When Sarah arrived in Victoria her next 7 children born here were baptised C of E, so it looks like she converted to marry Luke then went back the other way.

Bridget West nee Sale/Seal death cert states she was born in Galway.........it also states she was 100 years old having died in 1868 this means she was born sometime around 1768 thus  looking at dates for Richard Sale/Seal around 1740 to 1750.

The Griffiths list shows a Bridget West in Tullamore, Kings County in 1848 and it is said that Mark West was a cooper perhaps he worked in the breweries in Tullamore.....

Wendy

Offline aggie2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
hi. If you are still looking for info let me know.

Offline wenrob13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Still looking not have much luck at all.

Wendy

Offline kiffagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
i have just looked up the tithe applotment online at the national archives.ie they are free to search . i had a quick look and there is one man called sale and a lot of seales on it and no whiteside's.

also you can look up the Griffiths valuations on ask about Ireland website there are a few sale/ seale families.

also if you look on the census of 1901 and 1911 there are seale families living on the outskirts of Ballinasloe. these are free to search on the national archives. there are still o briens living in kiltormer. the parish of kiltormer is made up of two villages kiltormer and laurencetown. i grew up in kiltormer in the late 1970's as a child and went to school. i have never seen sale or seale's buried in the old catholic graveyard. there is an old protestant cemetary in kiltormer but no idea where you would find out who is buried in it. as for lawrencetown. there are only catholic cemetaries in it. i hope this is of some use to you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Bridget West nee Sale/Seal death cert states she was born in Galway.........it also states she was 100 years old having died in 1868 this means she was born sometime around 1768 thus  looking at dates for Richard Sale/Seal around 1740 to 1750.

I would take age at death with a huge pinch of salt. Accuracy depended on a) whether she knew how old she was; b) whether whoever registered her death knew her age. Many Irish people born in 18th & 19th centuries didn't know their ages. For instance there appeared to have been many super-centenarians on 1901 Irish census. A relative of mine allegedly lived to around 100. The cousin who registered her death put her age at 75. The true age was somewhere between. Ages of her mother and siblings were also widely inconsistent on most documents. A decade either way wasn't unusual.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 October 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
i have never seen sale or seale's buried in the old catholic graveyard. there is an old protestant cemetary in kiltormer but no idea where you would find out who is buried in it. as for lawrencetown. there are only catholic cemetaries in it.

Those cemeteries aren't listed under Galway on Irish Graveyards website. More graveyards are to be added according to website. www.irishgraveyards.ie
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 October 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
 Baptism and marriage registers for Kiltormer R.C. parish begin 1834. Kiltormer, Diocese of Clonfert/County Galway. Variant names Oghill/ Laurencetown.
Catholic Reigisters at Natinal Library of Ireland
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0335

Do you have an approximate year of birth for Sarah West, or approximate year of marriage? When did she emigrate?

Cowban