Author Topic: ancestry slow?  (Read 9457 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry slow?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
but for a true test you would have to try it at times when the demand could be heavier.
I've been logged-in at times anywhere between 10 am to midnight daily for the last fortnight+ . Made no difference whatsoever. And today is just as bad as yesterday and the day before and...
As for talking to ancestry, I probably will phone them - Wharfrat, did you have to hit the Refresh button during your wait to get through?! ;) - when the time comes for renewing/cancelling my sub in 10 days' time. Most likely, I'll cancel. Being an innate sceptic, I'd see an offer of discount as rather a good way of ensuring they have subscribers' money for another year come what may, and under present conditions I'd be cautious about that, let alone begrudge it! Bit like awarding an A* to someone whilst thinking they could have done much much better. But that's just me.
However, at least I have a choice as I don't have a famtree on ancestry etc, so switching to FindMyPast will leave my nose firmly attached to my face and quivering less in indignation than the jellified state it's in at present. I only hope others whose fortunes are more tied in to ancestry will have their justifiably ruffled feathers soothed by some acceptable means sooner rather than later.  And wouldn't it be good if the means were to be offered rather than need to be sought.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 27 October 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Ancestry's Help Desk workers are based in America, so you'll find the highest number of staff on duty during American 'office hours'.  I phoned at about 10AM UK time (if I recall correctly), which is about 3AM their time, and got through straight away.

P.S. you can check which route your connection to Ancestry takes - see .....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,562565.msg4155035.html#msg4155035
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 27 October 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
Seldom use Ancestry, and never use the paid version, far too expensive for me!Prefer to use the source documents.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline bruckshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Redroger that helps the problem considerably!

It's gone quiet on the forum. Does that mean all is OK? It certainly is not with me.

If it was not for the fact that I normally use the Ancestry Web Search facility in FTM to get leads to sources I would be thinking seriously about changing to FindMyPast.

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Do you ever use Crap Cleaner to remove your Internet files?  Sometimes when your computer has too many cookies it can slow everything down.

Offline bruckshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
But it is not "everything" that is slow. It is just Ancestry sites.

I tried removing cookies last week and that made other things slower because they all had to re-loaded again.

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Have you discussed this with your ISP ?

My Ancestry experience is fine - going like a train as I type .....

BT Wholesale BBand, via FTTC (Infinity). Using XP/SP3 and FFox 3.6.23

Offline bruckshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
Yes but then Ancestry admitted that they had a problem (see my earlier post). My download speed is acceptable at 6 Mb/s.

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 29 October 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
wonder why I dont see it then? I'm using Ancestry most days for a couple of hours, different times of day.