Author Topic: Freeview boxes and recorders for the uninitiated  (Read 10185 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Freeview boxes and recorders for the uninitiated
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Just to update as the 29th is here.

As I go to work at 04-30 I am up around 03-30 so I usually have the BBC News channel on whilst getting ready for work. No signal for any channels this morning so tried to update both TV and box. They both updated but no BBC1, BBC2 or BBC News although I could get BBC Parliament.

Spent most of day thinking that the new aerial wasn't digital but when I got home I checked the instructions for the TV and started again. Outcome is I have now got the missing channels from this morning.

Moral I suppose is check your manual to see how to do it properly but don't do it before the birds have got up  ;D ;D ;D

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Glad it worked Jean.  We still haven't had the changeover - I think we are last on the list later this year.

Thanks for the tip on the Panasonic Viera, Nick.  I have one of those so am now forewarned for when it's my turn!

Christine

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 01 March 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Jean - good to see it worked out for you eventually - not a case of the early bird..!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 01 March 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I was listening to a radio programme yesterday where they were saying some people were being conned into buying a digital aerial, whereas actually there is no such thing. Most people will be able to receive the new service through their existing aerial.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 02 March 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I was listening to a radio programme yesterday where they were saying some people were being conned into buying a digital aerial, whereas actually there is no such thing. Most people will be able to receive the new service through their existing aerial.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial

Yes and no  :)

TV aerials work best when they are 'tuned' - they are more efficient, working over a range of frequencies.  In the early days of UHF (625 line) TV reception, the tuners used in TVs tended to be rather 'deaf', so it was a good idea to use a tuned aerial to squeeze the maximum amount of signal from the system.  So, wherever possible, the frequencies for the 3 (and later 4) channels were spaced together. 

For instance, in London, the channels for the 4 stations were 23, 26, 30 and 33.  For the optimum reception of TV signals in London, a 'Group A' aerial was recommended, and this aerial worked best between channels 21 and 36.  There were some exceptions to the channel grouping, but this is mainly how it worked.  A lot of care was taken with the choice of channels in each TV area, to make sure that the transmitters in one area did not interfere with another.

When digital TV was introduced, again a lot of care had to be taken to ensure that the new digital transmitters did not interfere with those already on air, and the power of the digital transmitters was reduced to combat this.  Unfortunately, with the introduction of digital TV, channel grouping went out of the window, but by then the improvements in TV tuner design meant that aerial tuning was not a big deal any more, and so 'wideband' aerials were routinely installed (Group W), which had a reasonable performance over the entire 21 - 68 band.  If your aerial was installed in the last 10 years, chances are that it is a wideband aerial.

One more thing.....  since its inception, TV reception has been blighted by interference from the ignition systems of passing petrol vehicles.  On early TVs, this interference showed up as a number of white dots on the picture, but later on, the electronics turned the white dots into black dots, which were less annoying.  Unfortunately with digital TV, bad ignition interference can cause the picture to 'break up', or for reception to stop completely.  To combat this, most post-digital aerial installations have used a special type of cable which incorporates an additional copper foil shield which stops the aerial cable picking up this interference, so as long as the aerial is high enough and far enough from the street, it isn't usually a problem.

So, if you have an old TV aerial which is not wideband, and does not have cable with an additional copper shield inside, your reception may not be all it could be  ;)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I had to give in and buy a new TV (plus stand) and was amazed when my current aerial picked up all the programmes I asked it to; both digital and analogue.
However, today is switchover day 1 and it has been completed for my transmitter. I retuned the TV and although BBC1 and 2 have good signals, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 do not. They were fine before.  Is this normal? Should I want to view them I will use analogue until changeover day 2, but obviously after that I will not be able to.
I was under the impression that after changeover day 2 the signals would become stronger, but I have not heard anything about digital signals becoming weaker after changeover day 1.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Tofgem

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 March 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I advise that you go to http://www.ukfree.tv/transmittersmenu.php

They have lots of information and advice
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 19 March 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick
I'll wait until changeover day 2 which is Wednesday this week and then reassess the situation.
Tofgem

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 19 March 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
After going through the changeover myself, the recommended method is as you have done.
Retune as to continue watching then retune on day 2 of second switch.
You will be surprised on the difference (for the better).
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire