Author Topic: Freeview boxes and recorders for the uninitiated  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Freeview boxes and recorders for the uninitiated
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Some Freeview boxes are better than others when it comes to signal strength.  I have a Humax Freeview+ box for recording purposes, and it's quite happy to work with the signal strength that makes the Panasonic TV go on the blink.  The problem with having a mast-head amplifier is that you'll have to pay again to have it removed, if it causes any problems, whereas a distribution amplifier in a loft or cupboard will be much more easily accessible.

If the aerial installation is old, you will need both the aerial and the cable replaced, because the older cables used to pick up ignition interference from passing cars, which only caused white dots on the picture on an analogue TV, but which will wipe out reception on Freeview.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 October 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Ditto the votes for Humax. The freeview model that I have (some years old now so little point in saying which one it is) allows recording from 2 channels whilst watching a 3rd (in ideal circumstances - there are some limitations), or record 2 and watch something already recorded with no problem. My model allows approx 100hrs of recording, if I recall aright.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 October 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
If you do a lot of recording you can buy a DVD recorder with built in Freeview and keep your old TV. You need to get Freeview Plus if you want to watch one Freeview channel and record another at the same time, if that is important to you.

How old is your 'analogue' TV. I bought one in 1999 and it was also digital with built in Freeview. You need to see what stickers your TV has on it. If it is really old I would suggest a new TV - as it will probably pay for itself in 18 months from the electricity saved. And you will not need a Freeview box. Get one with a PC monitor mode so you can view iPlayer recordings in the living room if you have a laptop. With series record on iPlayer you may decide you do not need to record anything via the aerial. Everyones requirements are different.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/TechnologyInYourHome/DigitalTelevision/DG_10030984

Ken

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
I've just read all the comments with interest. I do not intend to do anything until I have to. I can easily  manage without watching television, hence my annoyance at having to spend a fortune. I know that I will have to have a new aerial, despite having good analogue reception for 4 stations (we have never been able to receive channel 5), as everyone else in the road has had to replace their aerials.
Again, thanks for the advice. I'll take note when I lose my signal.
Tofgem

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 October 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
You'll find that you'll start getting 'reminders' on your local BBC channels about 3 months before.  I wouldn't leave it too long, if I were you, because aerial installers will get very busy in the area in the run up to changeover.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 October 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
I've already had the reminders - very annoying considering I don't watch television very often. If switchover isn't until February/March, why is my viewing being disrupted now?  >:( >:( >:(
I'm not bothered about having to wait. I am bothered about having to find the wherewithall to pay for it all >:( >:( >:(
Tofgem

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
I could answer that question, but people would complain that it was political  ;)  ;D

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies, all the information has been very useful. I am busy browsing even as we speak  :D
Cheers
Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 November 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Please be gentle with me as Iam a complete dunce where this is concerned....
We have Sky + box with satelite dish, and as previously stated we have changed our viewing. Watching when we want to and not when the thing is on.
Iam fed up with Sky and would like to know if I purchase a Freesat + box, could I run it with the Sky dish already on our wall, or would I need a new dish or different leads etc.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley