Author Topic: BIRKENSHAW mystery  (Read 14448 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: BIRKENSHAW mystery
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 October 11 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all, If Little Eva was born Last Quarter of 1898 and died first quarter of 1899 I would suppose that Florence was in Victoria until that time.
As per Merlins Post
Then
The newspaper cutting of 27 Aug 1897 reports that a Lass was adopted by Henry Dunbar in 1891.
Then
This is their marriage in Broken Hill:

DUNBAR ABRAHAM m. EASTER ELIZABETH BROKEN HILL 1893  #2627
As per Merlins earlier post
Wots the odd's of a Single bloke adopting a baby girl in 1891 ::)
Neil ???
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 October 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Well,  perhaps he had become single after the adoption*** .... simply because at some point after that adoption he was no longer married ?  .... separated, divorced, widowed ....   Perhaps he thought it important to re-marry to find a mother for this wee lass... So many "perhaps" issues.... eg  Was Henry actually Abraham and the obvious answer is :  perhaps ...

*** This word in that era in NSW has a slightly different meaning from 21st sense.... in the 1880's/1890's it's meaning is more akin to our 21st C word " fostering " rather than formalising with court orders etc.  Formal adoptions in NSW commenced shortly after WWI

It is not an easy task to find archival records for those 'adoptions'.... they may be for children born before their mums married, or they may be foundlings, orphans, "half-orphans"  (ie one parent dies, the other has no funds coming in to keep the family together).... Sometimes these "adoptions" were
 :) private within the family arrangements (eg grandparents raise a grandchild as though they were the birth parents, or the child is raised by aunts/uncles) (rare to find any documentary evidence)
 :) private arrangements within a Masonic Lodge (very hard to find archive records)
 :) Benevolent Society arrangements (see the RChat NSW Resources Board for links)
 :) "Childless" couples taking in children whose parents were both still living, with the childless couple receiving board and lodging fees from those parents.

And, there's most likely other arrangements too...   Trove newspapers has quite a number of examples of deaths in that era for young people, where that child/teenager has different surname to the family organising the funeral, and the notices mention "adopted son/daughter" within the family notice. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 October 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage of Henry DUNBAR to Eliza J HARRISON in Orange in 1895.
Also a death of Henry DUNBAR [parents Joseph and Sarah in 1949[Orange again].

The couple who married, had chn and died at Orange are Henry and Eliza Jane not Elizabeth.  As mentioned they married in 1889 and they are on the 1903 NSW electoral roll at Summerhill Creek, Division Canobolas, Sub division Mullion Creek. Henry's occupation, farmer.   On the 1913 NSW electoral roll they are listed on the roll of electors who vote at the East Orange polling place.  Their residential address Icely Road. Henry still a farmer and Eliza Jane, domestic duties.  They are on the later NSW electoral rolls also at Orange.   Not your couple.

Marriage announcement 3 Oct 1893
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fpi/
DUNBAR-EASTER  September 28 at  the Baptist Church, South Broken Hill, by the Rev G J Tuck, Absolom Dunbar to Elizabeth Easter, both of Birmingham, England.

News snippet 8 Oct 1893 for Absolom DUNBAR
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fpj/

Kalgoorlie Western Argus 31 Oct 1905
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0fpk/
Boulder Court  24 Oct 1905
Absolom DUNBAR was charged with neglecting to comply with an order of the court…..to pay £1 a week to support his wife and child......

I am wondering why you are researching Emily Maud?  Is there a family story about Florence Amy having an illegitimate child?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CLawlor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 October 11 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was in Broken Hill last Friday researching family history and catching up with distant relatives.When the lovely lady at the Genealogy Society found out we had BIRKENSHAWS in our tree she bought out the Trove cutting to show me.I just jumped to conclusions that my Florence was involved as she had converted to Salvation Army and did not get married until 24 which was old in those days!
Regards Carolyn

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 October 11 09:02 BST (UK) »
OH!!!
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 October 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
Well, there's many a bride in my own tree marrying in rural/regional/western districts of NSW in the decades before Federation, who were first married when they were a tad more than 24 ....  They waited until their beaus were able to afford to marry and set up a home. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.