Author Topic: Mary Ann CARMODY from Kilmaley Clare Ireland  (Read 13967 times)

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann CARMODY from Kilmaley Clare Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 May 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
Here are a list of Carmody marriages in Kilmaley Church:

James Carmody and Mary Carmody 15/9/1847
John Carmody and Mary Carmody 13/9/1846
John Carmody and Mary O'Neill  10/2/1889 (my family)
John Carmody and Lucy Crehan  24/2/1900
Pat Carmody and Mary Conlon  4/2/1861
Thomas Carmody and Brigid McGrath 24/2/1870
Daniel Brennan and Margaret Carmody 23/2/1839
John Carney and Anne Carmody 17/2/1860
John Cashen and Mary Carmody 20/9/1879
William Chambers and Bridget Carmody 26/11/1864
Michael Connell and Bridget Carmody 21/2/1830
John Costelloe and Mary Carmody 13/2/1866
Pat Custy and Mary Carmody 23/11/1835
John Faul and Brigid Carmody 15/2/1835
John Faul and Brigid Carmody 12/2/1847
Denis Frawley and Anne Carmody 20/11/1834
MIchael Galvin and Brigid Carmody 18/7/1872
James Lynch and Anne Carmody 28/2/1886
Thomas Lynch and Brigid Carmody 2/3/1840
John Murphy and Mary Carmody 9/2/1858
Thomas O'Shea and Ellen Carmody 21/6/1830

I hope this doesn't cloud things up even more. 

John

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 May 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
On December 26, 1826, there were five Carmody Families listed in the Tithe Applotment Books:

1. Roger Carmody in Lispickane
2. Michael Carmody in Knockadangan
3. Michael Carmody in Ballyelan (Ballyiluan)
4. Thomas Carmody in Lisroe
5. Michael Carmody in Lisroe

In the 1855 Griffith's Valuation, the Carmody families in the parish were down to three:

1. Connor Carmody in Ballyiluan
2. Michael Carmody in Sheehaun
3. Thomas Carmody in Lisroe

In the 1901 Census there were still three families:

1. John Carmody in Feighroe.  This is my family.  Feigroe was the home place of the O'Neills, so John Carmody assumed the land.  I am still unsure as to which family he came from, or if he was from outside the parish.  He is buried in the neighboring parish of Inagh, which is almost the same distance as Kilmaley Church Cemetery.

2. Thomas Carmody in Letteragh
3. Patt Carmody in Lisroe.

If any of these leads seem interesting to you, let me know, I have more information I can look through.  Maybe you trail will lead me to mine!

John

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 05:54 BST (UK) »
CARMODY MARY, 20, arrived FEB 1855 on AMAZON (bk11 p133), housemaid form Limerick, disposal list says she was engaged by Capt Reardon, Mount Ridley.
AMAZON sailed from Plymouth 7 November 1854, arrived Melbourne 1 Feb 1855.

CARMODY MARY, 20 arrived 20 JUL 1854 on CITY OF MANCHESTER (Bk10 p281), dom servt, native Ireland, Clare, Roman Catholic. 
Disposal list says she was engaged by Joseph Dyson?, Wellington Estate, date 6 September, wage 20 pounds, term 3 months with rations. 
CITY OF MANCHESTER sailed from Southampton 20 March 1854, arrived Point Henry, Geelong 11 July 1854.

CARMODY MARY, 42, arrived APR 1854 ALMORA (bk10 p230) dom servt, native Ireland, Clare, Roman Catholic. 
Disposal list says she was engaged by Mr Rae, Portland on May 10 30 pounds  for 3 months with rations.
There are 2 other Carmody girls on this ship, both from Clare, both dom servants;  Anne, 15,  the disposal list says 'with mother', address Portland, May 10; and Susan, 22,  who was engaed by Mr Learmonth of Ettrick.  The ALMORA sailed for Liverpool on 31 Jan, 1854, arrived Portland 25 April 1854.  Almost all immigrants on this ship are from Ireland.  Anne's name is on the next line down from Mary's so it looks as though Mary is the mother that Anne went with.

Hope that is of some help!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
John,

Thanks for taking the time to post all that information.

Regarding the Carmody Marriages - nothing is jumping out at me at the moment. I think what I need to do is find Mary Ann's birth record or the marriage for her parents Patrick Carmody and Elizabeth Boland.

However if they were Church of Ireland and married in the Parish of Kilmaley, I believe those records have been lost in the fire of 1922.?

You are perhaps only the second person I have come across who have Carmodys in Kilmaley. Did any of yours immigrate ?.

When I first started researching my Carmody & Boland Ancestors, I did search Griffiths Valuation of Ireland, so I'm familiar with the places where they were.
Unfortunately I just can't say which ones maybe mine, if any.

It would be great if we could make a connection somewhere.

Any other information you can add would be appreciated.

As I said I've almost given up finding any information for my Kilmaley Ancestors.

Judith,
You certainly have been  very busy today. I can't remember if I haver checked all those shipping records you have listed. I'll have a look at them tomorrow at my local library.
The ones in Portland and Point Henry could be of interest.

Will let you know how it all works out.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Sarra

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
Sarra,

I believe the closest Church of Ireland would have been in Ennis.  As Kilmaley is a rural area, I have never come across any references to anything but the RC Church.  There are actually three RC Churches in the parish.  One at Kilmaley, one in the town of Connolly and a third in the town of Inch.

Thanks for your reply.

Offline dorelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 January 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in this thread because my Kays family were from Kilmaley parish, specifically the townland of Letteragh. Associated names were Cullinan and Neylon. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with connections to this area. The name Carmody is familiar as I know a family with this name once lived in Letteragh, I think in the Ben Dash 'mountain' area. If you look at the marvellous Clare County Library website, they have many, many online resources for this area but in particular you might like to see the records from Lisroe School, which has several Carmody children listed.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 January 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in this thread because my Kays family were from Kilmaley parish, specifically the townland of Letteragh. Associated names were Cullinan and Neylon. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with connections to this area. The name Carmody is familiar as I know a family with this name once lived in Letteragh, I think in the Ben Dash 'mountain' area. If you look at the marvellous Clare County Library website, they have many, many online resources for this area but in particular you might like to see the records from Lisroe School, which has several Carmody children listed.
Dorelia, My apologizes for this very late reply. Could you please post the link to the Clare County Library website.
 I don't seem to be able to find it.
Thanks - Sarra

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Dorelia,

I don't know if you have this or not, but Kilmaley Parish mariage records show:

Roger Cullinan and Nancy Keys were married in Kilmaley Church on January 21, 1837.

and

James Keys and Brigid Neylan were married in Kilmaley Church on February 27, 1838.

Offline dundeemayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
A few more Kilmaley bits on the Keys family:

Edmond O'Donnell and Margaret Keys were married in Kilmaley Church on February 8, 1831.

Peter Cullinan and Ellen Keys of Letteragh, had a son Rodger baptized on May 5, 1831 in Kilmaley Church.  The sponsors were Thomas Lynch and Mary Purcell.

There are also two Kayes listed in the 1826 Tithe Applotments in Letteragh, a widow and a Thomas but the famly seems to have gone by the 1855 Griffith's Valuation for Letteragh.

Hope it helps!

Good Luck

John