Author Topic: Parish Church of Roscommon & Essex Militia 1815  (Read 4598 times)

Offline chrisgrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.lyons-family.co.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Church of Roscommon & Essex Militia 1815
« on: Sunday 16 October 11 09:55 BST (UK) »
My 3 x  g-grandmother was Bridgett McGann of Ballinafad ,Sligo, born c.1793.

She married Samuel Parchment of the East Essex Militia on 24/10/1815 in the "Parish Church of Roscommon, according to the rites and  ceremonies of the United Church of Ireland" - this information is exact wording from an entry stuck into  the Braintree, Essex, marriage  register.

I would like to know what church this would have been.

Also, does anyone have, or have a reference for, any information on the Essex Militia stationed in Roscommon at this time
Lyons, Stephen b1827 & Timothy b1832- Cork, Ireland
Tobin - Cork, Ireland
Andrews - Dorset & London
Richards - Lambeth, London
Sullivan & Walsh - Waterford, Ireland
Parchment - Essex
Rousell - Kent
Mead - Dunmow, Essex
Turner - Stebbing, Essex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Church of Roscommon & Essex Militia 1815
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
This is the Church of Ireland one in Roscommon Town- certainly there in 1815:
http://www.irelandwide.com/fundr/stcomans/index.htm
http://www.geograph.ie/photo/167246

Interesting details about gravestones there-
http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Heritage/Publications/RCC_Memorials_of_St_Coman%27s.pdf

However, one source I found stated that the church records are 'lost.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chrisgrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.lyons-family.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that is really great.

What had confused me was the phrase 'United Church of Ireland' - I had thought this might have been presbyterian or methodist, both of which existed on the historic 25" Ord. Survey map.

I have been unable to locate a Barracks on that map: does anyone know about one?.  The nearest Army barracks seems to have been at Boyle. And had he been stationed there, more likelihood of the marriage with a girl from Ballinafad.

I thought the church records for Ballinafad  started in 1803, but have not found them anyway!
Tobin - Cork, Ireland
Parchment - Essex
Rousell - Kent
Mead - Dunmow, Essex
Turner - Stebbing, Essex

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to locate a Barracks on that map: does anyone know about one?.  The nearest Army barracks seems to have been at Boyle. And had he been stationed there, more likelihood of the marriage with a girl from Ballinafad.
I thought the church records for Ballinafad  started in 1803, but have not found them anyway!

Records for the Church of Ireland parish of Roscommon only go back to 1880s, although marriages from 1845 would be included in Civil Records. The parish of Roscommon covers the town and 36 adjacent townlands.

Marriages generally took place in the parish the bride was resident in at the time.

A barracks is mentioned in Lewis 1837 '..About half a mile distant are barracks for one troop of horse..' - but I haven't located it on the OSI map yet...  Roscommon town - Lewis

The town of Ballinafad Co. Sligo is in the Civil/CofI parish of Aghanagh and baptism records are available back to 1856, marriages to 1857

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:15 BST (UK) »

The 1803 date you mentioned applies to RC records

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
'Parish Churches' are either Church of Ireland (Established or State Church) or Roman Catholic. Presbyterian churches are arranged in Presbyteries and Methodist churches organised by Circuits.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
This is the Army Barracks on the 1st edition (6" Historic) OSI map - it's located just south of the town - the police barracks is near the centre of town.

Barracks - Roscommon town

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline chrisgrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.lyons-family.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
 Thankyou Shane & Aghadowey. Parish records are obviously not going to help me with the Mcgann family.

The Barracks not that far out of town it appears. I will need to read up more about the Militia next time I visit the Essex Record Office - not till 2012. This is what I established 2 years ago: "In 1808 the EEM moved from Chelmsford to Harwich for 15 mths. Then to Norman's Cross and back to Essex for the winter. In Jan 1811 they were in Harwich again. In Portsmouth June 1811. They embarked for Ireland in March 1814. Upon Napoleon's abdication [ 4/4/1814 ] they were recalled, having been in Mullingar. In Nov 1815 they were stationed at Roscommon. They then left for Waterford, were transferred to Chatham and reached Essex again in Jan 1816. They were then disembodied at Colchester"

Although Samuel Parchment was protestant, I doubt that someone with the name of Bridgett McGann was.  Has anyone any ideas as to whether  it  would have been acceptable in that era for her to marry outside her faith?
Tobin - Cork, Ireland
Parchment - Essex
Rousell - Kent
Mead - Dunmow, Essex
Turner - Stebbing, Essex