Author Topic: Donald families throughout Banffshire  (Read 14078 times)

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald families throughout Banffshire
« on: Sunday 16 October 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
I have put together a database of families and occurrences of the surname Donald throughout Banffshire, Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire. It isn't online, because I want to share information, help people search as best I can, put cousins in contact with each other, and keep people up-to-date with developments if they so wish. If you send me a private message, I can give you access.

To give you some idea of what it contains:
- Nearly 2000 Donalds (limited to those born before 1851).
- 70% of individuals in the 1841 Aberdeenshire census linked to around 82 families.
- 64% of individuals in the 1841 Banffshire census linked to around 23 families.
- 55% of individuals in the 1841 Kincardineshire census linked to around 12 families.
- Half (1529) of the OPR baptisms linked to the 1841 census.
- The average tree goes back to 1767, the earliest to 1624.
- Hundreds of literature Donald records from 1432 onwards, including the 1696 and 1799 tax records.

Please get in touch if you are researching a Donald ancestor born before 1851, or have information you can contribute, such as family trees, OPR transcriptions, death records, MIs, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Iain.

Offline warble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald families throughout Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Alexander Donald who married Isabella Forsyth in  the early 1800s and lived around Elgin.

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 December 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warble,

I have had a look through my pre-1841 records. The only record I have of an Alexander Donald in Elgin is an apprentice to Joseph Wilson, square right, in 1780.

I do, however, have an Alexander Donald, born 1791 in Keith, Banffshire, married Isobel Forsyth in Keith 1825. Alexander was the third son of William Donald and Anne Thomson, who were married in 1780 in Keith. I haven't succeeded getting any further back, but I do have this Alexander's brothers and sisters. I also have Alexander and Isobel's children (Isobel, Ann, Margaret, Jessie, Helen, Peter Duncan, John and William). If this sounds like your couple, send me a private message and I can provide you with all the information I have.

Best regards,

Iain.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 December 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I have two Donald people who married my relatives in Queensland Australia.

I have a Walter Donald born 12/03/1825 in Banffshire and who died 20/10/1896 in Chinchilla Queensland who married my relative Emma Hughes 18/01/1854 in Goomburra Queensland.

I also have a George Donald born 18/05/1832 in Hillbrae,Rothiemay Banffshire and who died 08/08/1881 in
Dalby Queensland.George married my relative Hannah Hughes at Goomburra Queensland on 11/12/1854.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
The only Donald I have who fits your criteria is Martha Donald, daughter of John Donald and Elspet Green, who spent her entire life in Botriphnie. She was born in 1788 and baptised on 13 April 1788, and  married John Strathdee on 12 September 1811. They lived at Blackmuir in Botriphnie and had ten children. Martha died at Blackmuir on 31 May 1866.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Whenu

• RootsChat Senior
  • Find a purpose in life, be a bad example
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain, I am researching the Sutherland family, specifically Archibald Sutherland who married a Janet Donald in the  1760's, possibly in Banff as their children, George, Hugh, Isabella, Robert, Elizabeth and Jean were born in Mortlach between 1769 and 1781.
Thanks for your time, cheers, Lance
Reid, Coull, Sutherland,Innes. Banff, Scotland
Reed, Tullamore to Sydney, Oz
Joyce, Cork to Sydney, Oz
Havard, Pembroke
Gentry, Gt. Totham, Essex
Hatcher,Essex?
Ebden, Thorncombe, Devon
Boon, Thorncombe, Devon
Osbourne, Aveton Gifford, Devon
Eades, Stafford
Stratton, Bannockrigg, Cockpen, Midlothian, Scotland
de St Laurent,  Malon Normandy France

H118907 Gedmatch
A301340  Ancestry gedmatch

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whenu,

I don't know if I have this particular Janet Donald or not - I've neglected daughters after they were married as the surname wasn't passed on.

There is an isolated pocket of Donalds in Mortlach, in the hamlets of Little Enoch and Tomballie, who were present around the time you would be interested in. I would guess one of these is your family, but which one is difficult to say. You might find some useful information in searching the FreeReg baptisms for Mortlach around this time, and locating the two hamlets I mentioned on 19th Century maps, which you can find here:
http://geo.nls.uk/search/#zoom=12&lat=57.44221&lon=-3.12658&layers=B00000FFTFFFFFT

Ultimately, this pocket of Donalds likely ended up here from somewhere else, probably in fairly recent history. DNA testing might be able to show this, but it's an expensive hobby and compliments (rather than extends) your paper trail. Let me know if you're interested. Best of luck,

Iain.

Online Whenu

• RootsChat Senior
  • Find a purpose in life, be a bad example
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 12 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Iain, will follow those clues up, cheers, Lance
Reid, Coull, Sutherland,Innes. Banff, Scotland
Reed, Tullamore to Sydney, Oz
Joyce, Cork to Sydney, Oz
Havard, Pembroke
Gentry, Gt. Totham, Essex
Hatcher,Essex?
Ebden, Thorncombe, Devon
Boon, Thorncombe, Devon
Osbourne, Aveton Gifford, Devon
Eades, Stafford
Stratton, Bannockrigg, Cockpen, Midlothian, Scotland
de St Laurent,  Malon Normandy France

H118907 Gedmatch
A301340  Ancestry gedmatch

Offline DeeJayPeeCee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 March 12 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,

I would be very interested to hear any info you have on my family.

My Grandpa was :

George Donald B:23/02/1926 Rhynie
his father: George Donald B: 25/05/1905 Cragganmore
his father: James Donald B: 22/01/1872 Boyndie
his father: James Donald B: 15/07/1832 Boyndie
his father: James Donald B: 04/07/1791 Boyndie
his father: Peter Donald B: 22/06/1751 Boyndie
his father: Andrew Donald B: 21/07/1719 Boyndie
his father: Alexander Donald B: unknown

I have some more info on all of the above including wives, siblings and addresses etc a couple where land owners but I would be so interested in hearing what info you have on any or all of the above.  A few of the siblings moved to australia also (Ballarat Victoria) and also one was a soldier in the Scots Guard so any info like that would be appreciated

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Derek