Author Topic: Donald families throughout Banffshire  (Read 14005 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Donald families throughout Banffshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 October 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
There are references to a George Robertson, also Deputy Keeper of the records of Scotland, who was married to an Elizabeth Brown, daughter of George Brown of Linkwood, Provost of Elgin and his wife Margaret Ross.

See:

Family on the 1841 and 1851 censuses in Edinburgh:

www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5efcac5df4040b83937d8d4d/eliza-kirk-1841-midlothian-edinburgh-1806-?locale=en

www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5903d876e9379091b1fc1f18/george-robertson-1851-midlothian-edinburgh-1791-?locale=en

www.findagrave.com/memorial/200968419/george-robertson

For son George Jnr http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/people/people_report_view.asp?REF_ID=NM153371

Re the reference you have to James Stark, see www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/leadingactors/superintendentsofstatistics/

Stark's immediate successor, Dr William Robertson (1818-1882) was a full-time official, and was paid on a salary scale of £450 to £500 a year.  His father, George, had been Deputy Keeper of the Records of Scotland, and Robertson lived with his widowed mother, Eliza, and two sisters in Albany Street, Edinburgh.  The family were evidently well off, as Eliza appears in the 1871 census as living on 'Money from Property,' and her two daughters on 'Interest of Money.'  Robertson was in his mid-fifties when appointed as Superintendent of Statistics, and had to cope with an expanding amount of work in the office, including the demands of the Vaccination Act.  He was in office for a relatively short time before he retired, but during the period of Robertson...

As you can imagine, there are numerous legal documents referenced for this family on Scotlands People in the Legal records - Wills and testaments databases.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 October 20 22:22 GMT (UK) »
George Snr c. 1791 - 1853 son of William and wife Sarah Donald? A good possibility but not seeing his birth or christening to them. I think though there may be missing children for them maybe. So far I can see:

Mary 1773
Marjorie 1775
James 1777
Isabel 1779
Sarah 1781

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 October 20 22:28 GMT (UK) »

There was also an Alexander Donald was or aspired to be a landholder in Aberdeenshire and/ or Banffshire between 1769 and 1771. Peter May, surveyor, factor and farmer in Linkwood, near Elgin, had dealings in April 1769 with a Captain Alexander Donald who was interested in acquiring a farm called Dykeside...

There are references to a George Robertson, also Deputy Keeper of the records of Scotland, who was married to an Elizabeth Brown, daughter of George Brown of Linkwood, Provost of Elgin and his wife Margaret Ross.

Just highlighting common reference in terms of area.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 October 20 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you had a look here? https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=manbeen

I can see a reference to a Mr Donaldson at Manbeen in a number of records. I think it is Mr rather than the similar looking W. I may be wrong though.

Monica

Offline Wullie2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 October 20 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica -- Thanks for these items: I had not been aware of of the link to info on James Stark, and much appreciate it.
Re. George Robertson Sr., here's a brief summary of what I have:
118. George Robertson
b.c. 1791, St. Andrew’s Parish, Edinburgh; d. 5 March 1853 age 62, at 28 Albany Street [why couldn’t he have waited till 1855 and the initiation of SR record-keeping?]; bu. Warriston cemetery, Edinburgh. William Robertson I’s will named George as his third and youngest son. George’s monument in Edinburgh’s Warrison cemetery reads as follows:“In memory of George Robertson, Esq., one of the Deputy Keepers of the Records of Scotland, who died 5th March 1853, aged 62 years And of his son George Brown Robertson Deputy Keeper of the Records of Scotland, who died 26th November 1873, aged 54 years, and  of his Daughter Sarah Isabella Robertson, who died 18th March 1874, aged 40 years; also of his widow Eliza Brown who died 17th March 1877, aged 80 years, and of his eldest son William Robertson, M.D., F.R.S.E., who died 25th August 1882 aged 64 years. And of his daughter Eliza Robertson who died 3rd October 1901 aged 74 years. [Base] Also of Christina Rose, widow of George Brown Robertson, who died 14th September 1912 aged 68 years  Also of William Rose, younger son of George Brown and Christina Rose Robertson and husband of Eleanor Mary Robertson, who died 24th June 1937 aged 64 years.” George was commissioned Joint Deputy Keeper of the Records of Scotland in 1809, and re-appointed under the Clerk Register on 31 Dec. 1829. He became (sole?) deputy keeper of records in 1835.

The one small discrepancy between my records and yours is that I have Eliza (Brown) Robertson's parents as George Brown and Margaret Clerk, and (down a generation), George B. Robertson's wife as Christina Rose.

I had not checked out ScotlandsPlaces yet, but certainly will do so now; thank you for that tip!

Offline Wullie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 October 20 23:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1788 Carriage Tax roll for Manbeen clearly reads "Mr. Donald," so that is very interesting. The (carriage & riding) Horse Tax names him as Mr. Donaldson. I agree with your reading of "Mr." rather than "W."  Interesting that the surname appears as "DonaldSon" -- looks like one word, but with the "S" capitalized.

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon from a warm Australia

I have a Maggie Ann Donald 1883 1959 who married a James Duncan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a Maggie Ann Donald 1883 1959 who married a James Duncan

Donald and Duncan are both quite common surnames. If you are looking for help, then a little more information would be helpful. What more do you know about them? Birthplaces, parents, date and place of marriage, where did they die, any information about children? Are they connected to the people already discussed in this thread?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Winkles92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 October 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I am ALSO looking at Archibald Sutherland (Born 1745) who married Janet Donald. If you have any information, it would be gratefully received.