Author Topic: Cookley woman beheaded 1930 China  (Read 13707 times)

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cookley woman beheaded 1930 China
« on: Monday 17 October 11 07:04 BST (UK) »
Could someone please assist me in searching for local newspaper articles on my Great Great Grandfather's Niece;
Eleanor Jane HARRISON born 1872 Cookley and died 04th October 1930 in China after being beheaded by bandits.
I would love to read some/any local newspaper articles on the incident to find out more about my Family connection in Cookley and see if more details about the incident and my Family line can be obtained.
As this was an international incident I have read articles from other sources and papers but nothing from the Kidderminster/Cookley area.
 Much appreciated Jason Harrison NSW Australia
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage
COOPER - Corfe Castle, Swanage, Wareham, Steeple
PERRINS and PERK - Old Swinford

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Cookley woman beheaded 1930 China
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

I said that I wold look in my own library to find out about the Nail Works for you but think that the best that I can do (to be fair to you) is to put you in touch with the local historian who has published several books on Cookley.  I was going to rist infringing copywright & send the info as an attachment to an e mail address (when I had obtained your address) but there is honestly to much info for me to do this so I recomend that you purchase the folowing books (both softback) "Cookley the first Thousand Years" see pages 6 & 21
"Cookley in Times Past" see pages 21,22,33,34,35,36
There is a small pictuer of Joseph Harison on page 33 of the latter book as well as a wedding picture of Alfred harrison's daughter marrion on page 23. Thre is a lot in these books about Eleanor Harrison the missionary who went from Cookley to China - which it sounds as though you would like to get your hands on.

The author of these books is very helpful & you may well be able to get a lot more info from her than was in the books - as she was kind enough to send me the original photo of my late father who was one of the Cookley round the wall runners in his youth

The Author is Betty Caswell B.A, Windy Ridge Cottage, 30 Bridge Street, Cookley, nr Kidderminster, Worces DY10 3SB

Good luck with this

All the very best Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Cheers Phil, thanks for your time, Jason
HARRISON - Kidderminster/Leicester/Loughborough, BASKERVILLE - Bromyard, COOPER - Wareham, BARTLETT - Swindon Wiltshire, Swanage

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Her papers, diary and some photographs have survived. You could write to the archive and see if they can send you copies:
http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/44/1177.htm
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE

Scope and content/abstract: This collection comprises the manuscript journal letters of Eleanor Harrison relating to her service as a CMS missionary with the Fukien Mission in China in three volumes, 1896-1913, together with printed circular letters, 1916-1922 and an account of finding her remains, with photograph of the search party, in 1937.

Some letters from her on this website - might be worth contacting the owner:
http://eleanorharrison.homestead.com/

A longer than usual account in the Glasgow Herald:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mntQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GTQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5868,581679&hl=en

You may have all this already, but perhaps it might be of interest to anyone else looking for her.
PM

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, great reading.

Offline Yvonne Lay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 12 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please assist me in searching for local newspaper articles on my Great Great Grandfather's Niece;
Eleanor Jane HARRISON born 1872 Cookley and died 04th October 1930 in China after being beheaded by bandits.
I would love to read some/any local newspaper articles on the incident to find out more about my Family connection in Cookley and see if more details about the incident and my Family line can be obtained.
As this was an international incident I have read articles from other sources and papers but nothing from the Kidderminster/Cookley area.
 Much appreciated Jason Harrison NSW Australia

Hello Jason,

I have Cookley Church magazine article if you haven't already have it, on the above person.

Yvonne.

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 12 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, No I have not seen this, you could send to the following if you like (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline lucy 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
May have information on relatives back in uk if you are still interested.

Offline harr2jas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
Yes please, very interested in any relatives, regards Jason