Author Topic: Albert Edward Ferguson  (Read 7425 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Ferguson
« on: Monday 17 October 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great grandfather Albert Edward Ferguson who certainly lived in Edinburgh between 1906 when he joined the masons and 1932.  During the war he lived with his daughter in law in Edinburgh and was definitely a Scot. This is what I have:

He was married to Helen Jenner in St Giles Edinburgh in 1903
According to the marriage certificate his parents were Neil and Rose Ferguson. 
His son, my grandfather Neil George, was born in Pitlochry/Moulin in 1903.
The 1911 Census gives his place of birth as England.
He was 28 in 1911 so born about 1883.
The only Albert E in Scotland in 1901 is in Leith South, a 16 year old soldier born in England.  Possible they got the age wrong?

The trouble is that I can't find any record of him apart from his masonic record, marriage and the 1911 Census, no birth or death.  I am wondering if his father was army which would account for the birth in England.

Can anyone help?

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
I think that the 1901 entry you found could be him. If it was transcribed, the age could be incorrect. The good news is I've found him with his family in 1891! They were in Moulin, Perthshire.surname = FERGUSSON
Neil, a hall porter, born c 1845 Perthshire (in 1901 it's Aberfeldy,Perthshire),
Rosa A, his wife, born c1849 England (in 1901 down as Rose Anna),
Albert born c 1883 England,
George V born c1888 Lanark
Robert L born c1889 Edinburgh
Margaret B -3 months, born Moulin, Perth.
In 1901 the family are still in Moulin, living in a School Janitor's House.
Regards,
flst.
(P.S.I got this off Ancestry)
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  That's given me lots to go with now.  It never occurred to me to put the double 's' in.  Stupid.  I'll have to book my 14 days free subscription with Ancestry and look all these English connections up.  I'm waiting until I have a clear weekend!

Thanks again,
Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
I'm so pleased to have been able to help!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be a pain but I am really struggling with this one.  What I have for definite is his marriage certificate.

26 Sept 1903 in the Dist of St Giles Edinburgh.
Albert Edward Ferguson, drapers porter, 30 Guthrie St.
father Neil Ferguson, college janitor
mother Rose Ferguson m.s. Spree
and
Nellie Jenner, spinster, same place
father George Jenner gardener
mother Ann Jenner m.s. Simmons

I have George and Anne Jenner from Sussex originally (1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses) moving up to Moulin, Perthshire in about 1892 when he became head gardener on the Fonab estate, plus their births and deaths.

I have a 1911 Census for Albert and Nellie living at 13 Bruntsfield Place, with 2 of their children and his occupation as janitor for the Edinburgh School Board.  His place of birth is England and his age is 28.

I have a TA attestation record in 1914 where he said that he had spent 7 years in the Scots Greys (When? between 1903 and 1911?)  They discharged him after a month.  He joined the masons in 1906 and gave his occupation as police constable.

I have his mother's birth in Canterbury, 2 Nov 1986 and death in Edinburgh 26 Sept 1912.

I have Nellie Ferguson's death certificate 1953 in the Haymarket district of Edinburgh, aged 68 which ties in with the censuses and confirms the parents, and Albert E is the informant so alive.  He describes himself as clerk, dept of agriculture, retd. 

What I don't have and can't find for love or money is a birth or death certificate for either Albert Edward Ferguson or his father Neil Fergusson.  I'm beginning to wonder if they deliberately don't want to be found!  Can anyone help?

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Did Rose's death certificate describe her as a wife or widow of Neil? Who was the informant? What was her usual residence? If you can supply us with the answers perhaps we'll be able to find Neil!.
So, Albert died after Nellie. Could he have remarried?
flst

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought!
If you find the graves of Rose & Nellie perhaps their husbands names & date of deaths will be  inscribed on the headstones.
flst

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking at this flst.

died 26 Sept 1912
Rose Anna Ferguson, age 55
married to Neil Ferguson, college janitor
30 Guthrie St Edinburgh
father William Spree, railway signalman deceased
Informant Neil Ferguson, widower.

I wish they'd decide on single or double "s".

and I have the following census from 1901 as a possible
Name: Albert E Ferguson Age: 16  abt 1885
Relationship:    Head
Where born:    England
Address:    Jocks Lodge Edinburgh
ED:    Cavalry Barracks

1901 Census
Neil Fergusson Age: 47 abt 1854
Relationship:    Head
Spouse's name : Rose Anna Fergusson
Where born:    Aberfeldy, Perthshire
Civil parish:    Moulin
County:    Perthshire
Address:    School Janitor's House
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Neil Fergusson    47
Rose Anna Fergusson    42
George Fergusson    13
Robert Fergusson    12
Margaret Fergusson    10

AND I STILL CAN'T FIND EITHER OF THEIR BIRTHS OR DEATHS!

Jenny

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 11 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, whilest searching for information on your ancestors, I came across this entry about your great uncle George Victor Ferguson. Please click on the link below to read all about it! It mentions that Rose was married before & gives details.I don't know if you've already seen this but if not you'll be able to connect with a relative!

http://www.circlecity.co.uk/wartime/board/index.php?page=54

The search continues....
flst