Author Topic: Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L Linn  (Read 6447 times)

Offline MaggieTag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L Linn
« on: Monday 17 October 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Henry L Linn (sic) - family from Fethard, Wexford - of his Majesty's Preventative Service (Coastguard??) stationed at St Johns Point, Co Down married Margaretta Ferres of Larne, County Antrim, daughter of Dr Samuel Ferres, Larne, Co Antrim in Oct 1828. Had two know children William Henry Lynn, Architect (born Dec 1829 St Johns Point, Co Down) and Samuel Ferres Lynn sculpture and architect (born 1836 Fethard, Wexford)- both died Belfast. Samuel Ferres in 1876 and William Henry in 1915).

Adam Loftus Lynn Esq, of Inyard Wexford married Mary Anne Ferres daughter of Dr Samuel Ferres of Larne Feb 1833.

Does anyone know of this Lynn family? Could Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L. Linn be related - it seems more than a coincidence that both married sisters. Information of any other children born to either of the couples would be appreciated.

Any information on the families of the Lynn's in Wexford would be appreciated.

Thanks

Margaret
Taggart - Ballyrashane, Bushmills,Glenmanus etc County Antrim
Laird - Ballylinney, Ballygallagh, Ballyclare County Antrim
Gillespie - Ballylinney, Ballygallagh, Ballyclare County Antrim
Drain - Glenmanus, Loguestown Co Antrim

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Loftus Lynn and Henry L Linn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I cannot provide any information regard the two families, but the following may be of some use.

Henry Johnson Lynn was nominated as a Chief Officer to the Preventative Service on 22 Jan 1822 ( ADM 175/99 pdf 63), at the time of his nomination he gave his age as 23, single, and that he had been born in Pembrook. His first posting was to Mizen Head PS (ADM 175/15 pdf 108), this shows that previously he had been living in Feathars [sic].

He joined the Preventative Service at the point when it was making the transition to the Coastguard Service (1822), so it is correct to use both terms.

I list below his subsequent postings:

5 June 1822 to Ballymoney
18 Oct 1822 to Blackwater
1 March 1825 to Ballygally
5 April 1828 to St Johns Point
20 Oct 1833 to Kilmore
Discharged Dead 23 April 1836 (ADM 175/16 pdf 40)

Martin

Offline MaggieTag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
Martin,

This is brilliant! Thank you very much.

I'm assuming that he was born in Wales then moved to Fethard, Wexford.

When you say nominated to the Preventative Service does this mean that this was when he initially joined up? Also was his last posting to Kilmore in Wexford? He died very young I wonder if he died whilst on duty?

Again many thanks,

Margaret

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Margaret

Yes, the nomination would indicate a first job in the Preventative service, and to have an initial posting as a Chief Officer suggests that he was from a family of some social standing. A significant number of these posts were occupied by naval officers, but because he is shown as 'Mr' and not 'Lt' I think this is unlikely for Henry.

He may not have died as a direct result of any action, the DD (discharged dead) note indicates that he died while in post at Kilmore, this could be through illness.

Martin

Offline MaggieTag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martin,

Your help is much appreciated.

Margaret

Offline scracka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 02:18 BST (UK) »
Adam Loftus Lynn migrated to Australia in 1850 - he kept a diary of the journey. After some experiments as a Solicitor in Sydney and an unsuccessful miner in
outback NSW, he went to Melbourne, but then shifted to Ballarat where he repeated the same mining career path as in NSW, then  became Ballarat's first Solicitor; he represented the Scobie family at the Enquiry into the causes of the Eureka incident. He became one of Ballarat's prominent pioneer citizens. He ended his career as Secretary of The Cemetery Trust - Ballarat has two large Cemeteries which operated simultaneously. He helped build and run the first Hospital and reputedly built the first 'house' in the city.
He and his wife Marianne had eleven children, three boys and eight girls, one if whom was born on the voyage out.  One boy was born in Sydney.
None of his sons had children, though his eldest had a step son. His daughters all married, but only the eldest was childless. His and Mariannes descendants are numerous and spread over most States and the Northern Territory of Australia.  Some are in New Zealand.
A portrait of Adam Loftus exists as does a photograph of a lady believed to be Marianne.
By the bye, he is never referred to as other than as 'Adam Loftus' and his wife other than 'Marianne', though it is suspected Adam Loftus never managed to pronounce it properly- try Adrianne, drop the 'Adr' and use 'Mar' instead. Adam died aged 84 and is buried in the Old Cemetery.  Marianne outlived him and died in the home of her youngest daughter's husband's house.  She is buried in the New Cemetery.
I have an extensive history of Adam Loftus and of each of his children.

Offline Lizre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
I’m a descendant of Adam & Marianne’s daughter Jemima Lynn, She married William John Waddell from Co Down, Ireland. She was his second wife and they had three children Arthur Lynn, Helen Marian and Olive Muriel.

Arthur had a son named William Lynn, William Lynn named his son Thomas Lynn and his son was named Patrick Lynn.

I’ve been trying to trace the Lynn family but have hit a brick wall. I can’t seem to find any information about Adam and Henry’s father John Lynn, although I’ve managed to find information about their mother Wilhelmina Glascott.

If anyone has any information they’re willing to share I would be most grateful.

Offline scracka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizre,

I have large files on Adam Loftus Lynn [ALL] and his wife Marianne Beers nee Ferres , plus many of their descendants. Below is a small portion.  If you would like more, please send me an email address as the files are far too big to include here.  However, the piece of Jemima information, I am missing, is where she is buried.  I also have a photo, I believe is Jemima, plus more on Adam Loftus and Marianne. ALL wrote a Diary of his trip to Australia; an edited copy is available.

Jemima Lynn,
•   seventh daughter, eighth child of the eleven of Adam Loftus Lynn and Marianne Beers neé Ferres, 
•   born on 18 October 1847, at "St Kerin’s", or “ St Kerns”, Salt Mills, Co. Wexford, Ireland, 
•   died on 9 October 1927, aged 80, at the residence of her daughter (Mrs. Harold Birtchnell), Mt Gwynne, Mulwala,  NSW,                        2
•   place of interment unknown, does not appear to be in any of the Springvale group of cemeteries,
•   left an Estate, by will dated 10th August 1925; personal property valued at £12,206 to her children and grand-children.                            3
•   in widowhood, had home in Malvern, as had her two of her widowed sisters,
•   arrived in Australia fifteen days before her third birthday.
•   married, aged 34, he 35, on 3 January 1882, as his second wife, William John Waddell, a prominent merchant of Donald, Victoria and four years after her father’s death,      1
•   marriage took place at the residence of her mother, in Ballarat,
•   when they married after their father’s death, the last two unmarried Lynn daughters, Jemima and her sister Sarah Eliza, were both in their early thirties,
•   according to LL, this was due to the necessary delay caused by the seeking of “suitable” husbands of good “family”, 
•   whether ALL was dead or not, when Waddell appeared on scene is not known; but he was unlikely to have been known ALL, as WJW’s first wife didn’t die until 1880 and ALL was dead by then,
•   according to the CWP’s, Jemima was once proposed to by Fenwick Hamilton, future husband of her sister, Sarah Eliza Cherry, 
•   like Fenwick Hamilton, as a merchant of some standing, it is an interesting speculation whether William John Waddell would have fared any better than Hamilton, had Adam Loftus Lynn been alive to have a say! [on his suitability as a husband]……………………………….

Offline Lizre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Scracka,

Wow! Thank you so much for the information you’ve provided. I would love to see the other files you have. I don’t have any information about where Jemima is buried, but I will get in touch with a family member over the next few days and find out if she knows where she’s interred.