Author Topic: John Murray  (Read 7531 times)

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 December 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosinish

I don't descend from this line of the family tree.
John was married to Janet Wylie (don't know when Janet died?) but they married in Canonbie.
John and Janet as far as I know had two children (the two I am looking for) John and Jane.
Then (Father) John married Janet Grieve (I don't have a marriage date) but Janet Grieve died in Moffat, Dumfriesshire.
And John (Father) and Janet Grieve had Mary, Thomas and Richard
Thomas married in Lanarkshire to Margaret Paton ( he took of to America and left his wife and children) but Margaret remarried
Richard married in Gretna to Mary Ann Fanny Tomlin
Mary married John Harris in Moffat 

Regards
Oletta

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 December 20 20:36 GMT (UK) »
John was married to Janet Wylie (don't know when Janet died?) but they married in Canonbie.
John and Janet as far as I know had two children (the two I am looking for) John and Jane.
Then (Father) John married Janet Grieve (I don't have a marriage date) but Janet Grieve died in Moffat, Dumfriesshire.
And John (Father) and Janet Grieve had Mary, Thomas and Richard

It's very difficult to follow with no dates...

When did Janet Grieve die, who was the informant & was John recorded as deceased?

Was John recorded as deceased on his childrens' marriages?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 December 20 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I am getting confused now, so is it John, baptised 11 November 1831 in Canonbie and Jane, baptised 24 November 1833, children of John Murray and Jane Wylie, that you are looking for, and if not, whom are you looking for, and when and where were they born?

If you know them, please, please always state people's dates, even if only the year. Also, if you start other threads about the same people, please put a link to each of those threads, especially when you then ask people to look at them, so that they are easy to find.

akc found them for you 9 years ago in the 1841 census in Langholm with their father and stepmother. I gather that you have not found them in any later census or in marriage or death records. 

It may be that the reason no-one has found them is that there is nothing to find. Or that there are just too many to check, both names being very common. There are, for instance,  after eliminating the ones whose mothers' maiden surnames are listed in the index, 62 deaths of John Murrays born 1831 plus or minus one year, and 70 deaths of Jane Murrays and 6 deaths of Jean Murrays born 1833 plus or minus one year. The only practical way to check all those would be to go to a Scotland's People Centre for a day. Otherwise it would cost you up to £153 to check them all online, with no guarantee that you would find them.

I take it that you have considered the possibility that one or both died or emigrated?

There is an unmarried 18-year-old Jane Murray, born Dumfries-shire, a servant in the household of Jane Tinning in Dumfries in 1851. The transcription doesn't say in which parish she was born, but you could take a look at the original and see if it says that she was born in Canonbie.

There are two John Murrays aged 49 plus or minus 4 years and born in Canonbie in the 1881 census; one aged 45 in Hawick and one aged 47 in Canonbie. Have you definitely eliminated both of those?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 December 20 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Canonbie seems to be a hotbed of John Murrays.
To add to the conversation i have a mostly unproven Murray tree with the following to bring in the John Murray context-
James Murray - 1690Newcastleton-1790newcastleton.m.Jean Little-1699Canonbie-1743Newcastleton.
son- Adam Murray-1727Deadwater-1816Newcastleton.mc1.1761-Margaret Hutton.[1722-1775] mc2.1788Elizabeth Beattie.[1741-1819]
Son - John Murray - 1779Linkbonny-1849Langshawburn.m1.1801Sorby Janet Little [1774-1806].m2.1806Ewes.Ester Cowan [1790- ?]. This john Murray produced 17 children]
Son - John Murray 1814 Eskdale Moor Des - 1886 South Australia.m.Scotland.Alison Hope [1821-1895].
Son - John Murray [1841-1908.

This is not the full tree but a direct line of John Murrays.
If this matches any of the above John Murrays happy to chat further.
The names Little and Canonbie appear quite often so fair chance of a relationship. None quite matching yet.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.