Author Topic: John HALL 1843 Ballynakill + Galway Militia  (Read 5239 times)

Offline ChelseaPilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John HALL 1843 Ballynakill + Galway Militia
« on: Tuesday 18 October 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
My paternal GGrandfather John Hall born 1843 Ballynakil, Loughrea, Galway (from Attestation Record British Army).
I have been unable to trace any birth details nor family information prior to this event. The Ballynakil(sic) has not been fully identified as yet, but indications are that it is the village near Woodford.
His service records state that he was charged with "fraudulent enlistment from the Galway Militia". I am hoping that sks may assist in tracing his service/enlistment with the same, thus providing some parental information.
However, any input would be gratefully received.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John HALL 1843 Ballynakill + Galway Militia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 19:01 BST (UK) »
There are several townlands in Co. Galway named Ballynakill including one in the registration district of Loughrea which seems to be the best fit. It's located in the civil parish of the same name.

Civil registration of births started in Ireland in 1864, so you would need to check for church records. Do you know what denomination your Hall family were ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

p.s. It might be better to post your query on the Militia on the Armed Forces board here on RootsChat

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
John Hall born 1843 Ballynakil, Loughrea, Galway (from Attestation Record British Army). I have been unable to trace any birth details nor family information prior to this event. The Ballynakil(sic) has not been fully identified as yet, but indications are that it is the village near Woodford.

As you suspected this particular townland of Ballynakill is quite close to the town of Woodford - they are both in the same Civil Parish (civil parishes are usually the same as Church of Ireland parishes).

The modern village of Ballynakill is partially located in this townland, and is on the R353 which runs between Portumna and Gort.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
...My paternal GGrandfather John Hall born 1843 Ballynakil, Loughrea, Galway (from Attestation Record British Army).
I have been unable to trace any birth details nor family information prior to this event.

Have you located any marriage for John ?

Most marriage certs would include details of his father, such as his name and occupation, which could help confirm or rule out any baptisms you may locate.

Update: I knew this sounded familiar - there was a similar post on John on Boards.ie earlier this year and on that post it was mentioned that his father was also a John Hall, Farmer.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ChelseaPilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ye. Thanks again Shane. It was with your help and support that we pinned down the townland as stated here. That is as far I can go - hence this "re-broadcast". However, there is a marriage for a John HALL to Mary TORPHY in Woodford 27 Nov 1830 (Source: RC Church Marriage Record-web) witnesses; Michael Hall Honoria Torphy. I'm blowing in the wind here as I don't have the actual record details noted and I'm in "new territory" now. As you know, I have "exhausted" the links with known Halls in Loughrea/Killeenadeema - so that is why I am clutching at straws with the Galway Militia. The Woodford "link" could be something if I can firm it up somehow - frustration is setting in!! 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
I would definitely  try a post on the Armed Forces here on RootsChat - some of the military experts there may be able to advise on possible sources for Army records

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could also try contacting the library in Island House, Cathedral Square, Galway, email: info AT galwaylibrary.ie and they may be able to point you in the direction of where to look for information about the Militia

Daisy Loo
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 June 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Chelsea Pilot,

Forgive my lateness to the party, I've only seen this now. If interested in the Galway Militia, I recommend David Wilkins' article in the 1998 JGAHS. If you're having any difficulty getting access, just let me know.

Onto John, did you view John's records on FindMyPast? Did they provide any additional detail in terms of where he served? He was one of at least 32 from that parish who fought (and survived to discharge) in the British Army in the nineteenth century, though I cannot see any others from the 65th regiment.

S.