Author Topic: The Bentham's from Standish  (Read 7043 times)

Offline tdp3360

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Bentham's from Standish
« on: Wednesday 19 October 11 11:27 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the true story of the Bentham millions,I remember my father telling me that one relative lost all his money trying to get hold of this fortune or a share in it i believe it was 20-30million pounds back in the 1930's or around that time.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Bentham's from Standish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
There is some information on this discussion thread:-

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=20&p=surnames.bentham

Mentions some newspaper articles and a will so perhaps if tried to track those down they might hold some clues.  I would also suggest you either visit or contact Lancashire Record Office too - it re-opens later this month.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline tdp3360

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply,I've just finished looking at the thread you posted,it look's like it's true about a lost fortune,it also look's like nobody will get their hand's on it,they are now saying it's in the billions and held in trust or something.

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
I have been reading an exert from sir roger bradshaighs will and its interesting. He makes special provision with regard to his sister katherine who he states is" living with me blacks" yes folks that is where we should focus our attention.  The blacksmith was a bentham and the cover up began right there. They even cover up that she got married and destroyed all marriage certificates. I have spent 30 years researching this only to be frustrated by desecrated parish records and even headstones destroyed. Dna will finally prove our rightful claim. The story of the the lady and the blacksmith will never die as long as I am alive.

Capital letters , edited.

Offline GEORGE BENTHAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
I have been reading an exert from sir roger bradshaighs will and its interesting. He makes special provision with regard to his sister katherine who he states is" living with me blacks" yes folks that is where we should focus our attention.  The blacksmith was a bentham and the cover up began right there. They even cover up that she got married and destroyed all marriage certificates. I have spent 30 years researching this only to be frustrated by desecrated parish records and even headstones destroyed. Dna will finally prove our rightful claim. The story of the the lady and the blacksmith will never die as long as I am alive.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 June 19 11:32 BST (UK) »
I am rather intrigued by your post, but the writing in capitals does not,
are you talking about Katherine Bentham
first daughter of Ernest and Margaret
born 27th Feb 1912
baptised St Wilfrid Standish on the 20th March 1912,
fathers occupation ,cattle dealer
abode Broomfield House Standish,
parents Ernest and Margaret Latham,married 1907 who's father Thomas Latham was a colliery proprietor
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 June 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
you state marriage details and church records have been destroyed yet I can see plenty of records  for the Benthams of Standish ,which one's are lost please
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 June 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
All Saints Wigan
30th October 1808
John Bentham of Haigh, (x)
Catherine Bradshaw of Haigh (x)
witness to marriage ,Wm Bancks and Ruth Birch
==============================
St Wilfrid Standish
Ellen baptised 1st Jan 1809
John baptised 10th August 1812
Margaret baptised 22nd Jan 1815
=====================
huge jump but possibly they are born to an older mother
Mary Ann Bentham baptised 4th May 1828 abode is Langtree 5th daughter of
John and Catherine,
Catherine Bentham baptised 3rd November 1833 6th daughter of John and Catherine Bentham
abode Standish, fathers occupation on some baptisms is collier

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
you will need to find confirmation this is your lady
St Wilfrid Standish Lancashire,
30th April 1863
Catherine Bentham
aged 77 years
abode Standish,
did this lady leave a will ?