Author Topic: 1841 census lookup: George Louis POIGNARY or POIGNARG  (Read 7571 times)

Offline hoolianama0508

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census lookup: George Louis POIGNARY or POIGNARG
« on: Wednesday 19 October 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
I would love for help with the details of the 1841 census of New South Wales, specificially Parramatta district for George Louis Poignand, esquire (born about 1799 and died 1855.) I noticed the variation of spelling his last name on two different web sites.
 I have found several newspaper articles on George Louis Poignand, however I have found no information about where he originates from. I am tracing the Poignands from Jersey and other places in England and America.

I would like to know if he is listed as born in NSW and what birthdate is given.

Thanks very much.
Agard, Cook, Earwaker, Garbitt, Gascoine, Greaves, Griffith, Stephenson,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup: George Louis POIGNARY or POIGNARG
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The 1841 records are not complete, for example they do not include many of those who were living/working in the densely populated areas around Sydney Harbour.  The format for that census is unlike the UK census.  And, later census records were not kept with the exception of householder returns around the end of the 19thC in some districts of NSW.

So it is unlikely you will find place and date of birth for your chap via NSW census records BUT ....  ;D

There was a George Lewis Poignand with an office in  King Street, Sydney, in the Burke Ward in 1842/3.  And the Assessment books for the Town of Sydney have survived since its incorporation...  And teams of volunteers have transcribed many of those.  These are a treasure trove, as they will give you the tennant, the landlord, the full address, the building's construction/no of floors, its value for the purpose of assessing the Council's rates  ;D And then there's the maps from that early time too.

And those and lots of other resources are linked at this link
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html

NSW BDM, and transcript agents, and what to expect from the records
City of Sydney assessment books, maps
NSW State Records Office (including applications for grants / purchases of land) 
Trove newspapers and its earlier version, Ferguson newspapers (harder to search as not keyword OCR operational)
and so very many more.

Do you have the 1855 d.c. ..... it predates civil registration so it is just a burial certificate, but it could help to show which cemetery and then if there is a headstone or at least a transcript of any headstone...

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi hoolianama0508 ,

Unfortunately the majority of Australia's census records were destroyed, and what remains are mainly statistical details.  George appears on the 1828 census (which is the most complete) at Windsor, aged 29, Solicitor, came free on the Bencoolen in 1828.  The newspaper details of this ship's arrival has his name as POIGNANT.

In 1841 he is at Hunter's Hill and is recorded as Geo. Louis POIGNANG.  Only the head of the household is named on the 1841 census.  In his household he has six people including himself:

Two males: one aged 7-14 and one aged 21-45 (one born in the colony and one arrived free)
Four females: two aged 7-14 and two aged 21-45 (two born in the colony and two arrived free)

Everyone in the household is unmarried, five are C of E and one is Roman Catholic.
One is a Landed Proprietor or Professional Person, one is a domestic servant, and the remaining people are "other persons".  I would assume that the other woman is his partner, and the children could belong to either or both women.

I see that someone has a family tree with George having a son with a Mary Ann POWERS.

Unfortunately all of George's life events happened before civil registration started in 1856 so you are unlikely to find a place of birth there. Perhaps you might be able to trace him through his legal qualifications.

Debra  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Was he a solicitor?

TROVE has a mention of him as a solicitor in Windsor (NSW) February 1829.  There are other mentions which may be the ones you have already seen..

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2191827

By 1834 his office address is Castlereagh St, Sydney and in 1839 his office is in George St.  1845 at Hutchinson's Buildings, Clarence ST.  One article in 1852 calls him "the celebrated solicitor"  Can't see much after that

There is an account of an inquest for a Louis POIGNARD in Sep 1855 - not sure if this is the same man  ???

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60164252

None of this helps find his origins.  Couldn't see any NSW BMDs with that name.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
NSW Inquest

D o D 10 Sept 1855 for George L Poignand of Sydney .... Intemperence I think is given as cause...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
Ah, so it IS the chap in the 1855 article and this would explain why there is no death cert - bother!  ::)
A sad end to what was apparently quite a career.

I wonder if there are records somewhere of solicitors' registration?  This may give some indication of his origins.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
So sad, and yes, unlikely to find an entry on the NSW BDM for his demise.

I wonder which cemetery for his burial ?  Perhaps Devonshire St ?   ... if so, then there's re-interment to consider too.

But as a Solicitor arriving in NSW 1828, before mass emigration was promoted, it would be likely he undertook law in Britain ...

I have had a good look at my NSW resources, and it is lacking in providing help !  (Tsk, I shall have to write a letter to Santa about asking for more) but the Bar Society of NSW may know if he needed to present his credentials to the Governor, or perhaps to Sir Francis FORBES directly at the Supreme Court.  I think those credentials would give the Uni he attended, and that may lead to finding his parents and his birth. 

http://www.nswbar.asn.au/

I noticed at the NSW SRO's online index for the 1841 census :  E H Poignand at Rose Cottage, Parish of Petersham, perhaps a connection ??   

Cheers,  JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
He was declared insolvent (from NSW on-line indexes)
George Louis POIGNARD, King St Sydney, Solicitor, date of sequestration: 27/09/1843, file no 00956

Judith

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 October 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
If you contact the Law Society of NSW

Let them know that you have a list of Barristers, Solicitors etc from that era

Here they are !

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60199632 4 November 1854  Empire.

His name is there, Attorneys in Practice.  George Louis Poignand.

Cheers,

JM