Author Topic: Baptism address - Lunatic Asylum  (Read 9541 times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism address - Lunatic Asylum
« on: Wednesday 19 October 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
I have the baptism records from St Pauls - Arran Quay of 4 sons of a Mary Arkins who may be my g.g.g. aunt.

In each, the Address is listed as Richmond Lunatic Asylum, now Grangegorman. The fathers name (Patrick McGrane) is on all of them and 2 informants named.
The births are:
Thomas Joseph - 1866
Mathew James - 1868
Michael Angelo - 1870
William Sylvester - 1871
The only marriage record I can find for them is St Mary's Pro - 26 Dec 1849
with one other son born in 1854 (no address) and another birth but don't have the details to hand at the moment.
I believe the husband Patrick may have been the Secretary of the  North Dublin Famine Relief Committee in 1847 - so probably well off enough. Certainly I know that his Father and brother were timber merchants in the Church Street area of Dublin in 1850s - 1860's
Could they have worked/lived there or something ? I can't make sense of it.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism address - Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Probably the simplest way to work this out would be order a birth cert for one or more of the children, as a Civil Cert would show father's occupation. The extracted record for Thomas shows parents Patrick Mcgrane, & Mary Arkins and reference 595. This matches with this index record :

Name: Thomas Joseph M'Grane
  Registration district:   Dublin North
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1866
  Volume: 12 / Page:   595

see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
The reference details of the most recent child you mentioned, William S. are "v 2-2 p 668" - which match this index record :

Name: William Sylvester M'Grane
  Registration district:   Dublin North
  Event type: Birth
  Year: 1872
  Volume: 2 / Page: 668

(his birth was on 22nd December 1871, but the registration was in the following year)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
In each, the Address is listed as Richmond Lunatic Asylum, now Grangegorman. The fathers name (Patrick McGrane) is on all of them and 2 informants named.

The additional names on RC baptisms are actually sponsors or godparents.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thom's 1872 includes a possible mention of Patrick in the listing for the North Dublin Poor Law Union, as follows :

Master of the workhouse: Michael Weddick,
    assistants Peter Byrne & Patrick McGrane jnr
      matron Mrs Weddick

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks shane147 - I am actually free tomorrow so can get those certs in the GRO tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on. I have known about 2 births at RLA for a while but found 2 more today and am a bit stunned.

I just did a random google and turned up this
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/bdb0430411678
a record for a PATRITUIS MCGRANE marriage to a CATHERINA LYNCH  possibly a second marriage for Patrick ( I think at this stage in his late 60's based on what I know at the moment) .
The father's name listed is PATRITII but I am fairly sure that Patrick's father is called Christopher. Anyone know what PATRITII is. If it was Patrick I would have expected them to just write PATRITUIS.

Shane147 - I just saw you latest post about The Poor Law Union. I do know that a Peter Byrne was Patrick McGrane's brother in law.
Thanks so much.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was in the RLA in the 1870s - unfortunately not the good part like your Patrick. She died there in November 1879 - her husband died from TB earlier the same year..

Luckily for us, the children were well looked by relatives and some years later returned to the family farm - and did well

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Just to add. I know that the North Dublin workhouse was basically behind the present day Grangegorman Annex (now roughly Broadstone Bus garage I think ? )

I had thought that Patrick was the son of a Christopher McGrane but seeing the Patrick McGrane Jnr that Shane147 just provided and the 2nd marriage I just found, it seems that Chrisopher was Uncle rather than Father.

I do know that Patrick's son Michael Angelo died at Christopher's sons address, I have the death cert.
I have a particular interest in the place as my Grandmother Angela was a nurse there in the early 1930s. She died of TB in 1936, aged 36 My mum was 2 years old at the time. The archives of RLA/Grangegorman are perfectly preserved and very extensive featuring photos and records of all patients. It's a real pity the National Archive don't have them.  I seem to remember reading that they refused them. Really sad, a very important social history.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 October 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Adee101,

sorry to digress from your thread but you say that records of Richmond L. A. still exist.

Can you tell me how one would go about finding them, as I have a Great-aunt who died there in the early twentieth century? I would love to have more information and especially to see a photo.

Incidentally, your query about why PATRITII, is to do with the fact that Latin nouns are changed according to their role in the sentence, so PATRITII just means "of Patrick" rather than that Patrick was the subject of the sentence (PATRITIUS), and so that form will be used for son (filius) of, or daughter (filia) of, on the baptism or marriage record.

Sheila
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)