Author Topic: Tracing my Grandfather  (Read 15574 times)

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing my Grandfather
« on: Thursday 20 October 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me.  I am trying to trace my Grandfathers side of the family, but apart from what my mother and aunts know I can't get past his parents!  My grandfather was born in (or around Tralee) on 21/08/1918 Dermot (Boggy) Whelan to Thomas/Tom/Tommy Whelan and Nora nee Guiney.  He as the thrid of four children, Joseph 1913, Eleanor, 1916 and Tommy 1921. 

I know that he worked with horses until he ran away to England at the age of 9.  He got a job as a stable boy over here and joined The 5th Enniskilling Dragoon Guards, he served in Palestine between 36 & 39 and was part of the BEF in 1940 and was evacuated from Dunkirk.  He landed during the Normandy operation and was badly injured in the head during the fighting around Caen, he left The Army in 1945 and became a successful race horse trainer.  Some of his horses were Tug of War, Rocky Royale, Elco, Tropic Star and Indian Melody.  He passed away in 1999 after an 8 year battle with altziemers.

If anyone can help it would be much  appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Do you have a birth cert for Dermot already ?

It should give you his father's occupation, and place of residence at the time, which might help find him on the 1911 census.

I had a quick look at the BMD Index but I didnt see a good 1918 match for his birth..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Between 1911 and 1920, I can find just three three Whelan births in the Tralee registration district :

Joseph Anthony Whelan / Jan-Mar 1913 / Vol 5 / Pg 479
  Eleanor Whelan / Jan-Mar 1917 / Vol 5 / Pg 447
  Jeremiah Whelan / Oct-Dec 1918 / Vol 5 / Pg 387

see : link

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me.  I am trying to trace my Grandfathers side of the family, but apart from what my mother and aunts know I can't get past his parents!  My grandfather was born in (or around Tralee) on 21/08/1918 Dermot (Boggy) Whelan to Thomas/Tom/Tommy Whelan and Nora nee Guiney.  He as the thrid of four children, Joseph 1913, Eleanor, 1916 and Tommy 1921.
There is a birth registration for a Jeremiah Whelan Tralee registration district Year 1918 Quarter Oct Dec Vol 5 p 387 . I have come across Dermot and Jeremiah being used interchangeably many times in Kerry records so it may be worthwhile  getting  the birth cert. I didn'f ind any entry for a Dermot Whelan
See Irish Civil registration Index at Family search.org
Also a possible marriage for Nora Guiney Tralee rg district 1913 Jan Mar vol 5 page 415. However did not find any match for a Thomas Whelan -- but sometimes one of a couple can be missing from the index.
Hope this is of use
annclare

You can apply online at www.groireland.ie ( a photocopy of the register entry gives the sam info as a cert and costs less.)
there
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I've confirmed that he was born Jeremiah Dermot Whelan, but dropped the Jeremiah.  You would of thought my Mum and Aunt would of told me this when I mentioned I was researchin his side of the family!!!

I think this may of also lead me to my Great Grandfather Tom Whelan, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000877867/ although this would indictate he was born in 1881, when I have other source saying he was born in 1884, could it be that there is a mix up here?

Thanks

Charlie

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with my Grandad's parents?  Further information on his mother is that the Guiney's were/are a family of Doctors.

Many thanks

Charlie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
Do you have the details of the birth cert for Jeremiah Dermot ?

Once you have the place of birth, parents names, father's occupation etc the next steps might be to check the census for any possible matches, and also search for the parents marriage.

A marriage cert will include details of their fathers and help you take another step back in time.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline ceve5478

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for that, it looks like I'll have to put my hand in my pocket for the birth certificate!

Charlie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 11:11 BST (UK) »
You can use the references mentioned above to order a research cert from the GRO - see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests