Author Topic: Tracing my Grandfather  (Read 15619 times)

Offline corkrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello I am fairly new here, doing some research on Burton family and came across your thread..  just thought you might like to know that Nora Guiney - married to Thomas Whelan was my Grandmother's sister.  My Grandmother was Annie Guiney, daughter of Tim Guiney of Kanturk - married to Frankie Burton Curragh, Kanturk.  My Dad - Phil Burton - married to my Mum Eileen McAuliffe was their son.

Offline corkrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
hi there - the Guiney's were prominent farmers and community leaders in Co Cork.  Lawyers, politicians - not sure if there were any Dr's in the Kanturk Guineys. 

Offline Dillie Keane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
I believe we are cousins.  My mother, Miriam Slattery, was Derry's first cousin, I think.  Which makes us second cousins once removed. I met him a few times at Goodwood races, he was a sweet man.  I'll see if my sister knows anything more about him.  I happened to find your request when I was searching for some information on him - my partner is in the racing world.  I think I remember him saying that his daughter was a nurse working in Singapore, but I remember very little else about him, he was always in a rush to the next race when we caught up with him.