Author Topic: Burials for Wolverhampton Workhouse burials - where?  (Read 11720 times)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Burials for Wolverhampton Workhouse burials - where?
« on: Saturday 07 May 05 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Anybody know where the Union Workhouse inmates were buried?  My ancestor Ann Rowley was born deaf and dumb, never married and was put in the Workhouse by 1881 and is there in 1891.  Cannot find her there in 1871 or 1901.  She was born 1828 in Broseley, Shropshire.  I assume she died bef 1901.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Burials for Wolverhampton Workhouse burials - where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya John

The Union Workhouse was on the Bilston Road, Wolverhampton so I'm guessing they were buried in Bilston Cemetary which would be the nearest to it

Here is a copule of links about the workhouses. The second link shows photos of the workhouse but this is the later one which is now New Cross Hospital

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Wolverhampton/Wolverhampton.shtml

http://www.institutions.org.uk/pictures/workhouses/wolverhampton_union_workhouse.htm

Wolverhampton Archive office might be able to help you further

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline treefreak

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
HI

My great great grandad died in Wolverhampton Workhouse Infirmary and he was buried in Bilston Cemetery.
If you know the year of death just ring Wolverhampton Council and ask for bereavement services, they'll look in the records and give you an answer in minutes.

TF
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk <br /><br />Brown - Renfrewshire, McCann - Ayreshire and Ireland, Fellows - Bilston and Willenhall, Morris - Tipton, Moody - Coseley/Dudley, Arnold - Tipton, Knowles - Willenhall, Banks - Willenhall, Martin - Tipton, Wolverson - Willenhall<br />:) ;)

Offline cassius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
For what it may be worth, my great-grandfather, Joseph Butlin Roberts, who ied in 1910 in the Union Workhouse at Wednesfield, Wolverhampton, is buried in the Merridale Cemetery.

I found this out through the list of burials on the Wolverhampton history website which I think is a relatively new addition to the internet.

I doubt whether Joseph Butlin Roberts was related to the Roberts mentioned on this page.  He was born in Kidderminster c. 1828 and married Hannah Reeve of Wolverhampton.  He was survived by one daughter.

Cassius