Author Topic: The Grange, Minsterworth  (Read 3702 times)

Offline jill vining

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Grange, Minsterworth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Are you still looking for info onthe Grange?

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 08:34 GMT (UK) »
ow Thanks Jill, where do you fit in the tree? Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Nat49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
What a super photo. I'm still looking for the photo I have.
There is a local historian Terry Moore -Scott who has written a Book"Minsterworth Miscellany" . A chapter in there is most illuminating. Chapter 2. Interesting.

Offline jill vining

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you received my message I've sent tonight. Front and back of business card for the Grange? Not sure if I sent it correctly.....don't know if I'm repeating myself???????????  I'm yougest daughter of Michael John Despard Vining. He was (passed away 31st January 2000) eldest, of 6 kids, born to Marguirite (Rita/Bunny) Organ/Smiley and John Llewellyn Despard Vining (Jack). Going to try and send a cuople more photos.......have got rather alot of life in Churcham/Minsterworth. Fannie Vining (1901) with John Llewellyn ans a baby...and Xmas Floods 1936, Queens Farm, with a young Mary in foreground. Could you e mail me? Or facebook me? I'd find it easier.............Jill

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 November 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Great- will PM you
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline KCJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 January 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I used to live nearby and recent found this old pic that I took in 1963 ? Scanned copy isn't brilliant but gives you and idea of how it looked during demolition. As I recall, the hotel had lain empty since around 1960. During that time we used to go into the walled garden where, amongst other things, there were peach and apricot trees growing against the wall, and a huge mulberry tree to the immediate right of the building. A new gas main was laid alongside the A48 during the winter of 1962/3. I well recall this work being carried out by William Press Ltd who employed mainly Irish "navvies". They worked in all weathers, digging the trenches by hand, and sought refuge in the empty "hotel" using floorboards, etc to keep the fires burning. They were a tough lot.

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 January 20 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that