Author Topic: Find My Past - New television series  (Read 50425 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past - New television series
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 08 December 11 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with you about the end reveal it could be quite distressing.  They could shorten it a bit by getting rid of the constant regurgitating of information already shown too!  ;)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 09 December 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone see the last episode about the Suffragettes?  Quite an interesting story but aside from the usual grievances, I felt the ancestors in this episode had been prompted to ask quite alot of more challenging questions of the expert/historian.  The first few programmes the ancestors  had little more to offer than "Wow" or words to that effect.  I did find last weeks episode & the one this week quite interesting however.

That "What did we learn" bit at the end can be quite uncomfortable to watch especially last week where it was about the WW1 soldier that was shot.  It was quite an emotive topic.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 09 December 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Just finished watching it - and I was quite impressed with the members of the public.. especially the two women. The descendant of the politician was very good and could have been mistaken for a presenter or one of the experts at times

I think this series is definitely improving as it goes on... and especially in the last few series the links they have found between the people have been very close... 

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 10 December 11 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Have particularly enjoyed the last two episodes about The Bounty and Emily Davison. Still hate all the repetativeness and the presenter etc, but forgot all about those thanks to modern technology!

Agree with Milly, the two women in the Emily Davison one could easily have presented the show - better than Chris Holllins! And it is encouraging to see youngsters involved.  I really hate the bit at the end, makes me cringe every time!

Emily Davison is the reason I ALWAYS vote. I remember reading about her at school and seeing that awful footage and, at the tender age of 12 or 13, deciding that because of what happened to her and, what the others were willing to do and sacrifice, I'd never not vote. And I never have - and have taken my kids from an early age to encourage them to do it too. I was appalled a few years ago to learn that my then 28 year old female neighbour had never voted in her life, arguing "What's the point?"  I dragged her up there myself and, after explaining to her about their campaign (which she apparently knew virtually nothing about :o) , told her to look Emily and the womens suffrage movement up - she's voted ever since (about ten years or so now).

Offline leelondon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 22 December 11 15:55 GMT (UK) »
It's the final episode of the series tonight.

In this week's episode Edward Coode, Nathalia Cross and Michael Frith uncover surprising information that connects their ancestors to the Mordaunt Divorce Scandal.

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of this before, but now having researched it a little, it makes for a fascinating piece of history. You can check out the trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVjd9...layer_embedded

Enjoy and have a merry Christmas   :)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 22 December 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Am going to have to watch it when I get off night duty. Know nothing either about the divorce scandal.. Mind you nowadays its ancient history isnt it!!!
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline rogerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Morgan
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi...I'm new to this website and don't know if this will get to the right person or not.
I see in January 2010 California dreamin was looking for Tibberton HEF.
I too was looking for this place yesterday and came upon the chat question.
I have some info on Charles Morgan,his wife and nine children.
Roger Lewis

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 01 July 22 06:20 BST (UK) »
Just seen BBC news - UK -Televisión adverts could get longer and more frequent as review of broadcasting rules by Ofcom. :-\ ??? :(

Just fits in with Ofcom- relaxing rules on Energy prices twice a year.

Just remember Boris's only concern is to surpass Maggie Thatcher's rule ! of ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 01 July 22 06:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reviving this topic I'm going to see if the Suffragette episode of find My past is still available on iPlayer or you tube
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson