Author Topic: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh  (Read 24227 times)

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
  • The whole is the sum of all our pasts
    • View Profile
Re: James Beatty of Co. Fermanagh
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 February 16 06:45 GMT (UK) »
After a few years of intermittent sleuthing, I've finally made a breakthrough with my James Beatty, Farmer of Fermanagh. People used to ask "Do you have a townland" and I'd roll my eyes... Well now I actually do!!! He had 30+ acres at Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown from at least 1829 to c1880, and had at least 4 other children besides my gg grandfather James (who married Marcella). My research progress is detailed on my website: https://taggerty.wordpress.com/
I'm hoping for advice from Fermanagh experts now. Firstly, I think this family were members of the congregation of the Presbyterian church at Cavanaleck, but how can I access those parish records without going to Belfast? At PRONI they're MIC 1P/80 and MIC 1P/230/4. As far as I can tell, they can't be borrowed from LDS - anyway they don't seem to be in the LDS catalogue. I emailed PRONI to see how much they'd charge to copy them for me and after a week they still haven't replied :(
Secondly, Aghavoory is on the Colebrook estate of the Brooke family, whose papers are (again) held by PRONI (D3004 and D998). I guess there's no way to browse them long distance (sigh!). I can't be too cross with PRONI, because it's so fantastic that they've copied all the Valuation Revision Books for Northern Ireland so that you can browse them online.
Can anybody help? I'd be grateful for suggestions as to where to go from here. I think I've pretty much exhausted the obvious online sources.
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 February 16 07:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/aghalurcher-coi-bap.htm has for example

Born 30/3/1863    Bap  12/4/1863      Margaret  d/o  James  BEATTY +  Sarah Aghavoory   

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/church.htm   
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 February 16 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, Although this is a puzzling bit of info. This kid is 20 years younger than James' youngest known!
James Beatty, Farmer, of Aghavoory, near Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, 1797-1873. His son James Beatty, born Fermanagh 1842, Married Marcella Paget in Dublin 1873, had a drapery business in Ballina, Mayo approx 1860-1875 and emigrated to Victoria, Australia 1878. His brother was Archibald Beatty,  Merchant of Lisnaskea/Ballina/Liverpool.
Paget family of Knockglass, Crossmolina, Mayo, Ireland and Kinard, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 1600s to 1878.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 February 16 08:24 GMT (UK) »
there are probably more there...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcella,

Just Posted to IGP in the past couple of Days: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/aghavea-coi-bap.htm

See various spellings also. Aghavea is not a million miles from the Colebrooke Estate or Fivemiletown.

Look at a Townland map of the area and plot all the Beatty names, they are probably related. Look for the earliest and try to place them in family groups if you have not done that yet. Then check the PRONI wills again.

I have found this method often brings rewards.

Also check any other BMD transcriptions on IGP for all references to the Beatty name and plot these also, taking into account that the marriage was traditionaly at the Bride's church. And then the couple may well have settled in the same area as the Brides family.

I'm guessing you already have tried all the above, but if not may be worth spending time plotting all you have onto a spreadsheet, even if at this time you are unable to link them.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Marriage in Brookeborough Methodist Church 1886 for a William Murray and Maggie Beatty (Aghavoory, daughter of James, farmer, witness: Eliza Anne Beatty)- this may be the Margaret Beattie baptised 1863 in Aghalurcher COI (posted above). Other Beattie marriages there may be of interest-
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/brookeborough-meth-mar.htm

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Coolnamarrow/Killylackey/1361832
1911 gives her name as Margaret Maria-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Coolnamarrow/Killylacky/513610

Possible contact? http://www.killyfole.eu/extras/content/content.php?author.4

Added-
Murray Lily of Killylackey Corranny P.O. Newtownbutler county Fermanagh spinster died 13 March 1954 Administration Londonderry 19 August to John Murray farmer. Effects £203 11s. 4d.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 February 16 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rusty and Aghadowy for replies - I'll follow up those extra sources and add some more to my already huge James Beatty spreadsheet :)  I can't tell whether the Cavanaleck parish register is included in those Fermanagh records you sent me links to, but can see there's a contact so might ask. In any case though, I really like to see the actual records. As you know, there's a lot you can deduce from the order of entries in the register and your knowledge of the family can help you interpret entries that are otherwise illegible, etc. Also they include a list of communicants for 1862 which I really want to read. I assume none of you know how to see the Cavanaleck Parish register without going to PRONI, and the same for the Colebrook estate papers? As you can tell, I've done a great deal of work on this family already, and in consulting you Fermanagh experts I'm really just making sure that there's no cheap and easy alternative to going to Ireland again. I certainly had fun there with the Paget branch of my family a couple of years ago, and made massive strides, especially with a few days at the Registry of Deeds in Dublin (fabulously Dickensian place!). I can see that my Beattys were tenant farmers, not landowners and it seems, not that into Deeds, so more time in Belfast than Dublin this time I think. Any further advice, even confirming this theory is very welcome, and all of your suggestions much appreciated.

Offline Marcella Paget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 February 16 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hey Hallmark and others,
I love you! This is fabulous! That daughter you unearthed who was 20 years younger than any other of James Beatty of Aghavoory's children (it hadn't occurred to me to look in C of I records for Presbyterian children!) - was SO much younger than any siblings known that I wondered if James had remarried. YES! he did! RootsIreland has the record of his remarriage in 1859. James Beattie, Farmer, of Aghavoory, WIDOWER, married Sarah Cooke of Aghavoory at Cavanaleck meeting house. AND, (you know what I'm going to say don't you :) The marriage being in the civil registration period,  gives the name of HIS father - Archibald Beatty, Farmer and takes my Beatty ancestors back a whole generation! Am a happy customer! Though I still might go to Ireland... Except I know now that the list of communicants at Cavanaleck won't give the name of my ggg grandmother which I'd been hoping. Oh well... THANKS! Off to write this all up on my blog now :) :)

Offline Druhtinaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 February 17 04:54 GMT (UK) »
G'day all. Found this when I was researching a James Beatty son of James Beatty (formerly of Fermanagh) who married Margaretta Glenn in Sydney in 1863, then seems at least one of the Aussie Beatty boys from that moment on has Glenn as a middle name. Not sure if I connect to them, but the DNA research is leaning towards it. Though haven't had anyone compare my Y chromosone markers to see if there's a connection along that line. Yes, I'm snooping around from the wrong side of the sheets. Just call me Jon Snow lol.

Regards, Paul.