Author Topic: Luddites and their Children  (Read 25281 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luddites and their Children
« on: Friday 21 October 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
I and other staff at a Local Studies Library are currently working on a project on the Luddites, and are seeking records of their marriages and baptisms of their children.  We have had a little sucess so far in searching the records at our disposal, but wondered if anyone out there has already researched this subject, and has found anything along these lines.  We could always use a little help!

Chris

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Luddites and their Children
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Which Luddites are you studying.
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

The pall of secrecy hangs over the Luddites still! :)

The ones who lived probably went to great lengths not to be identified as such, but the names  of those hanged at York in January 1813 might mean something to some rootschatters:
George MELLOR, cloth dresser of Longroyd Bridge, the acknowledged leader of the Luddites in the Huddersfield area, probably unmarried, chr. St Peter's Christmas Day 1789
William THORPE of Huddersfield, cloth dresser
Thomas SMITH of Huddersfield, cloth dresser

James HAIGH of Dalton (aged 28 in 1813)
Jonathan DEAN of Huddersfield (aged 30 in 1813)
John OGDEN of Huddersfield (aged 28 in 1813)
Thomas BROOK of Lockwood (aged 32 in 1813)
John WALKER of Longroyd Bridge (aged 31 in 1813)
Job HEY, North Dean (Halifax)
John HILL
William HARTLEY of Warley, tailor (aged 41 in 1813)
James HEY
Joseph CROWTHER
Nathan HOYLE
(These last three committed their crimes at Sheepridge)
John SWALLOW
John BATLEY
Joseph FISHER
(These last three were all coal miners, and committed their crimes at Kirkheaton)
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Those people mentioned by Lesley were said to be Luddites and hung but all protested their innocence the only two that you can definitely say were Luddites were; John Booth and Samuel Hartley who were taken prisoner and died of wounds after being torched.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline CME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
I did a bit of reseach a few years ago on some of the names above owing to a family connection. These been.
Joseph Fisher
John Swallow
John Batley
They were charged with breaking and entering the house of Samuel Moxton on 3 July 1812. There were also three others involved, namely Earl Parkin and his brother Samuel also John Lumb, Earl Parkin and Samuel turned Kings evidence so did not face trial even though Earl Parkin seemed to be the ringleader. John Lumb was found guilty but shown mercy and he was sentenced to be transported , I have  been unable to find out if this was carried out. John Lumb bn 1776 Briestfield/ Thornhill married in1801 Hannah Fisher
two children Thomas Lumb bn1802 Thornhill and Harriett Lumb bn1809. hannah and her children seemed to have left the area and moved down to the Barnsley region.

John Batley bn1782 Briestfield/Thornhill occ Clothier
married  Rebecca Barker in1801 Thornhill. One child Sykes Batley bn1808 d 1812
Rebecca Batley then married Nathan Fisher bn1791 in1814 at Thornhill

John Swallow bn c1776 Briestfield/Thornhill
occ Coal Miner married
Sarah Kaye in Emley 1801
Richard Swallow  bn1801 bap1802 in Thornhill
William Swallow b1803 Thornhill
Elizabeth Swallow bn1806 Thornhill
Joshua Swallow bn1808 Thornhill
Ann Swallow 1811 Thornhill

Joseph Fisher bn circ1780 Briestfield/Thornhil (not sure?) occ Coal Miner
Married Maboth Tyne in 1806 Thornhill
Nathan Fisher bn 1807 Thornhill
Martin Fisher bn1811 Thornhill
Joseph Fisher bn 1809 Thornhill
Maboth fisher then married George Milnes in 1814 at wakefield.
Interestingly enough Maboth Tyne,s brother Mark Tyne was brought to Trial in 1806 for beating his wife Hannah Fisher to death. I dont know what the outcome of the trial was but he died in 1811 in Thornhill.
As Leslie stated they were tight lipped about There connection to the Luddites. So I hope this information i have will be of interest. My own interest is the Fisher family of this area.But the big Mystery is where were they buried?? no ref in ThornHill Registers somebody said they were Buririd in secret in unmarked graves and not registered. So if anybody can enlighten me  on this matter i would be grateful.?

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mark TYNE was acquitted, apparently on a technicality, at his trial on Sep 3rd 1803 (not 1806).
In the account in the York Herald it says:
'The judge here stated to the jury that they must acquit the prisoner, because not properly described in the indictment'.
The doctor doing the post-mortem had concluded that the beating , witnessed by several people including James FISHER, could not have been the cause of death as the deceased had no broken ribs.....
From other witness evidence of the fracas, it seems that Mark Tyne was accusing his wife of being pregnant by John GREEN.

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline CME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Leslie yes 1803 is right for  Hannahs death which occured I believe in MIrfield Workhouse?James Fisher was Hannah,s Father.One again Thank you.

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you all for your input - I am sure my colleagues will find it interesting!

I had found baptism and burial records for Sykes Batley, son of John, and also a marriage record for Rebecca Batley to Nathan Fisher in 1814.  We have been following a few more leads. 

The fact that Luddites and their descendants were not keen to be identified as such adds mystery (and frustration!) to the search process...

CME, we will let you know if we discover any burial records for the Fisher family,

Chris

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
I notice that you have John Hill on your list- I have often wondered if he had some link with my George Hill of Hartshead.
I seem to recall that John Hill came from Elland and that he may have been amongst those luddites buried ( perhaps covertly) at Hartshead.
Hill isn't an unusual name but it wasn't too common in the early 19thC in our area. So there may be a connection.
Do you know anything about John Hill, place of birth etc?