Author Topic: 1841 Census for ship "Gilbert Henderson"  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census for ship "Gilbert Henderson"
« on: Friday 21 October 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am hoping that someone out there with lots of census experience can help me.

I have 2 rels on board the "Gilbert Henderson" that sailed from London on 26th May 1841 arriving in Plymouth on 6th June, enroute to Australia. I'm hoping they were captured in the census before leaving Plymouth.

Names: William Gagen and Biddy Gagen (as recorded in the shipping records), although their surname has taken on permutations, and Biddy is obviously Bridget. Both were aged 26 and from Galway, Ireland.

Accompanying them was William's niece Margaret Givnan aged 22 under their protection, but listed separately as a single female on the shipping manifest

I have tried various searches online, but nothing's come up for them.

Any pointers for searching vessels in dock??

Cheers
MM
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census for ship "Gilbert Henderson"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
In 1841 for the Merchant Navy no attempt appears to have been made to make a complete enumeration of the crew and passengers of merchant ships. Instead the GRO asked the General Register and Record Office of Seamen to provide the number of seamen's names on it's register on 6th June 1841, after deducting those reported dead. Only a global figure for the total number of merchant seamen was given in the 1841 Census Report.
From 'Making Sense of The Census Revisited' by Edward Higgs, who devotes three pages to the census enumeration of the merchant marine.

Remember the censuses were taken purely for statistical urposes and not for future family historians.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,275133.msg1591449.html#msg1591449
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
G'day Miss May,

I have a relation named Sarah McConnell from Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland who may have been on board the "Gilbert Henderson" that arrived in 1841 with your other relations in your earlier post.

I would be interested to know if you have discovered any new census information for the passengers or where I might find a passenger list for this ship please?

Thanks,
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

I never did find anything more from Census records on the Gilbert Henderson as it left Plymouth.

I've had a look for your Sarah McConnell and unfortunately I can't find her on the Gilbert Henderson in 1841. However, a Sarah McConnell did arrive in Sydney just ahead of the GH, onboard the William Abrams on 26 July 1841. This Sarah is listed as being Protestant and from Londonderry.

There is however a Bridget (Biddy) McConnell who arrived on the Gilbert Henderson on 16 Sept 1841 from Enniskillen. Her stated religion is Catholic - so perhaps that might help you further differentiate her from the Londonderry Sarah. Her parents details are given and it seems she was taken on for work in Wollongong. Her details match much more closely those you mentioned in your post for your Sarah. Biddy's immigration papers and the shipping list for the Sarah above are available to view on Anc* and also on the website of the state records for NSW . Let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards
MM
Mowbray (Chester le Street UK, Newcastle NSW), Roney (SA and WA, Sussex UK), Dudley (NSW, WA, Scotland), Geaghan (NSW, County Clare, Ireland), Pigram (NSW). Additional names: Lynch, Sugden, Ballard, Givnan, Docherty, Cowling, Singleton, Smith. And everyone else in between.

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 September 12 01:34 BST (UK) »
G'day Miss May, thanks for your helpful & kind reply.

It's highly possible Bridget "Biddy" McConnell who arrived on the Gilbert Henderson was Sarah McConnell's sister.

I've also just found a shipping record for Mary Dunn, it appears she was the wife of an Owen McConnell who was transported to Sydney Cove in 1830 along with his young brother Michael McConnell on a ship sailing from Ireland named Hercules at "his majesties pleasure" for 14 years. There could also be a third brother named James McConnell who was already in Australia at that time, they appear to come from Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland.

We "think" Mary Dunn & her 4 children may have arrived on board a ship named Diamond about 1838 from Ireland.

Records show Owen McConnell got his ticket of leave 8 years early in 1836, rather than in 1844 he must have been a good boy. It was granted to him by the Illawarra Bench in July of that year.

Sarah McConnell's death certificate states she was Catholic.

Anyone else reading this post in the future that is related to any of the names listed above feel free to contact me.

My search continues...

Kind Regards,
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline kerrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 April 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Margaret GIBNEY / GIVNEY  or GIVNAN - she came to Australia on  the ship 'Gilbert Henderson' with her cousin  William in 1840/41.  She  married John Madden in 1844 in Campbelltown - I believe that I may be related to them.

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have quite a bit of info on Margaret Givnan. Are you able to post a little about your connection and I'll have a dig in my records.

Kind regards
MM

Offline kerrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 April 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am working from notes on my family tree  started by my late Aunt Phyl many years ago - according to her notes Margaret Gibney was married to John Madden in 1844 in Mittagong, N.S.W. and they would be my great great Grandparents and my great Grandmother was their daughter, Eliza Margery.  What is Margaret's correct  surname - I have  seen it as Gibney, Givney, Givnan ?  Anything you can tell me about Margaret or the Maddens  would be  much appreciated - thank you

Offline Miss May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Margaret married John Madden 14 Apr 1844 St John the Evangelist at Campbelltown NSW. She was as you already know, cousin of William Geaghan with whom she traveled to Australia. Margaret's father was James Givnan and her mother was Katherine McKeogh. Margaret was said to be an orphan on her arrival in 1841. She died at Grenfell on 16th July 1892. I have seen her name as Gibney, Ginnin, Givnan. Margaret couldn't read or write so her name was likely to have been recorded phonetically. There are very few records of the name Givnan in Ireland or Australia.

John Madden was born in 1818 in Clontuskert, Galway. His parents were John Madden and Bridget Whittaker. He too died at Grenfell in 1892. I have quite a bit more info and headstone pic which I'm happy to send you. I shall pm you if you like.

William Geaghan was my 3 x great Grandfather which makes Margaret my first cousin 5 times removed.

Kind regards
MM