Author Topic: 7th Day Adventists  (Read 2827 times)

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
7th Day Adventists
« on: Monday 24 October 11 04:41 BST (UK) »
Are there any on-line records, or other access routes to late 19thC - early 20thC b.m.ds for members of the 7th Day Adventist Church in Eastern Cape?
Waddy

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Day Adventists
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I do not have a clue re such records.   Do you have a specific surname and place?   Cemetery records are available on eGGSA - gravestones South Africa - Eastern Cape -  which may help?

Regards
Sandy

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,
Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I should have been more specific,  I am looking for 7th Day baptism, wedding or burial records.  Yes I have tried eGGSA,  Ancestry 24, Latter Day Saints etc., but to no avail.  I believe compulsory civil birth registration  didn't come into effect in South Africa until 1905, (and that's assuming people obeyed the law), so before then most records come from Church archives.  Usually people baptise their children in their own faiths, so I assumed that Adventists used their own churches too.  I believe the Adventist church started in USA in about 1863, and it seems that some members of my family joined from the 1880s onwards, and ceased to use the Methodist, or Presbyterian Churches in Grahamstown.  I know that there are lots more records still to be transcribed from the orthodox churches, but where did my Adventist ancestors baptise their children etc., given that they stayed in Grahamstown and don't appear in any of the registers already transcribed for that period?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Waddy

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

There is an email address in the telephone book that you can try:

president[at][/blue]sdacape.co.za (Replace [at] with @)

Regards
Sandy

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Many thanks I'll give it a go - I'm in New Zealand, so that kind of info is not easily available to me.

Regards
Waddy