Author Topic: 16 broomielaw......  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 broomielaw......
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 September 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Superb thread, great pic's! Did the tour of Central Station last week which includes a visit to the dunnies under the station & the old street lay-out. We got down as far as the Heilanman's Umbrella, sadly not the roof! The Central covers what was the village of Grahamston of which only two buildings still exist, one being the "Grant Arms" pub.
 Book online, cost about £13.

Skoosh.

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 September 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
Superb thread, great pic's! Did the tour of Central Station last week which includes a visit to the dunnies under the station & the old street lay-out. We got down as far as the Heilanman's Umbrella, sadly not the roof! The Central covers what was the village of Grahamston of which only two buildings still exist, one being the "Grant Arms" pub.
 Book online, cost about £13.

Skoosh.

That would be cool.  I have not been in Scotland since I was a young child and would very much like to go and explore the history there. 

What are dunnies?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 September 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
@ Tetley T.  Dunnies in Glasgow, cellars/basements.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 September 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
@ Tetley T.  Dunnies in Glasgow, cellars/basements.  ;D

Skoosh.

Ah, of course.  Al of a sudden I had a recollection of my parents once or twice jokingly refer to the basement of our house as "the dunnie." 

I am pondering whether Patrick Clark's position as a lodging housekeeper was at 16 Broomielaw or if he lived there for 20+ years and worked at a nearby lodge of some sort.  From what I have now read, I do not get the impression that housekeeping services would have been at that address.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 September 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
@ Tetley, the Glasgow expression "A honey fur the dunnie!" speaks for itself!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 October 19 06:42 BST (UK) »
@ Tetley, the Glasgow expression "A honey fur the dunnie!" speaks for itself!  ;D

Skoosh.

LOL.  I had to think about that for a second. 

Thinking of the Broomielaw and old Scottish expressions, I recalled an old tune my father used to sing when we went on road trips.  We were living in Canada, but he would use his broadest Scottish accent when singing these songs.  One of the tunes I think was about a man hearing some fanciful tales from a bird,  Maybe the fellow had been drinking.  This was a long time ago but as best I remember one of the verses, it went as follows:

McGuinty was a sportin' chap, he bet a man a fiver,
That he'd jump o'er Jamaica Bridge like Tammy (Tommy) Burns the diver.
But all the folks on the Broomielaw kicked up an awfa shinty,
When he fell doon the funnel o' the tugboat number twenty.

Indeed I do now see many tugboats in the old images of the Broomielaw. I also also read of Tommy Bruns, the diver, who did dive off Jamaica briddge.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 October 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Very good Tetley, that's a new wan on me kid!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline TetleyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 October 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Very good Tetley, that's a new wan on me kid!  ;D

Skoosh.

I want to include a few of my Dad's favourite song's on his page on the family tree.  I believe it went to the tune of Yankee Doodle or something highly similar.  I Google the lyrics a couple of times but Google had not heard of this song.  However, I have recalled another verse.  It is funny how discussions will propmt memories.

I have tried to capture my Dad's pronunciation to the best of my recollection.  Jacket should be pronounced more like jaykit.

McGuinty went tae Aberdeen, McPherson did invite him,
But when he landed on the dock he wanted first tae fight him.
McGuinty couldnae fight at aw, his mind was in a quandry,
He couldna tak his jacket aff, his shurt was in the laundry

It has just come to me that my dad really enjoyed the Boy Scouts and camping.  Campfire songs were his favourite part of the camping. I wonder if some of the funny songs he sang came from the jamborees. 

Now, back to the Broomielaw.  Given the police notes on the destitute in this section, I think it is unlikely that Patrick Clark's lodging housekeeping was done in the residence.  However, after studying the map, I see that there were three Hotels all within the immediate vicinity of the Buchanan Court where 16 Broomielaw was situated according to the census. 

Given that Patrick Clark was listed as a soldier and Chelsea Pensioner I presume he served in the military prior to his time at the Broomielaw.  So I hope to find some record of this.

Patrick Clark has a daughter Jane who married Joseph Rae.  They had a son named William who married Unity Quigley.   Twelve of the people who have turned up as DNA matches to me descend from William Rae and Unity Quigley through five of their eight children.  So they are all descendants of the Broomielaw's Patrick Clark. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 October 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Tetley, Patrick would indeed have had a pension, follow the money. Jacket is a bit "hauf-biled" I only have jaikets masel!  ;D

Skoosh.