Author Topic: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches  (Read 150649 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Optimise Scotlandspeople searches
« Reply #81 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
That's very helpful thank you Monica  :)

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 10 March 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
In the 1940s and 1950s a marriage certificate should tell you the date and address where the marriage ceremony was held; religious denomination, if any; names, occupations, marital status, age and current residence of both bride and groom; whether both signed their names or signed with an 'x' (i.e. could not write - though I have yet to see anyone marrying in the 1940s or later who could not sign their own name); full names of both parents of both bride and groom, including their mothers' maiden surnames; name and usually qualification of the person conducting the ceremony; names and address of witnesses; date and place of registration and registrar's signature.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Having not ventured far into Scottish records before could anyone tell me please if for example I find a marriage in the index I want to look at what exactly will I get to see for 1 credit?

If the marriage was in the 1940's or 1950's what information would I be able to see?

Thank you  :)

One credit gets you the search results - 5 credits gets the image of the registration. This is what the registration looks like: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/images/famousscots/Marriagekeirhardie.tif
This example is from 1880 but the form was the same for the 1940s and 1950s.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks that's useful to see.  I was hoping date of birth would be shown on the marriage certificate.

Unfortunately everything I want to search for is not in the time frame given ie too recent so I would have to purchase certificates.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping date of birth would be shown on the marriage certificate.

Not in the 1940s and 1950s.

Unfortunately everything I want to search for is not in the time frame given ie too recent so I would have to purchase certificates.

Unles you want to have a paper copy for your records, you could ask if a kind RootsChatter planning a visit to the SP centre would transcribe them for you (assuming it's only one or two and not dozens) or you could get a professional searcher to transcribe them, which would be cheaper than buying copies.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rowan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 18 July 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these tips! I am in Canada, and have Scots rellies in 3 of my 4 grandparent's lines, so far! There are also Scots rellies in 3 of the 4 grandparent's lines on my husband's side. We have a good starting point for 'his' side from a handwritten family tree one of his aunts compiled on a visit to Scotland in the early 60s. Unfortunately I didn't know about this tree until after she died, so was unable to go over it with her. Still lots of good leads, though.

My daughter, who normally lives in Surrey but who is in NZ for 18 months, has spent an enormous amount of money on family history in the past with Scotland's People, often only to find it isn't the correct person. Both of my husband's grandmothers are extremely elusive, one from Ayrshire and one from Aberdeenshire. I will find their parents eventually!!!!!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 18 July 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Rowan48

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

At some point you might want to add some new posts on the relevant county boards for those particularly grandmothers of your husband  ;)

People may well be able to help with access to local resources or expertise in the area.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rowan48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 19 July 14 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Monica. I'll be posting names in the appropriate county once I get a feel for how things are done here.

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 29 August 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

This may have been discussed  and written about already but I couldn't find it. So apologies in advance.

I know that my grandmother was born, and lived, at an address in Partick where her family had lived for several generations. In the 1911 census she is a visitor elsewhere.

How can I search for an address to see if there are any of the family remaining at the old address?

regards

liz
Ballantyne, Young, Allan, Thommeny, Masterton,