Author Topic: Tranent Massacre/John Adam  (Read 17371 times)

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Massacre/John Adam
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 October 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

boy has this caused some interest great stuff, I have the Sandy Mullay book I think £4.50 from the Haddington Library or you can buy on ebay I think.

The book is very interesting but does not say any more about John Adam except that he was shot and stabbed, the Minister of the Parish at the time held documents ob the Massacre but where it is nobody knows, some say 8 were killed then it is 12 then 15 so who knows.

Sorry Hibee I don't have the letter I only put down what was in the book, one man from another village came to Tranent to get his wages, there he met his friend I assume he was paid but when he saw what was happening he left, just at that time the Massacre had started he was Peter Ness.

The Newton Village they were born in is no longer there, the one we see today is the newest and built around possibly the 1930's.

The original Village directions : If you travel from the Sheriff Hall r/abot gopast the Cockatoo Restaurant and through Millarhill, when you pass Jewsons Builders yard keep an eye out on the right, travel a bit slowly and you will see the start of a Farm, there is a Barn at the roadside best the worst for wear.

Just before you reach the Barn you will see a nice green field and that was the site of the original Village, Newton House is tucked in behind the trees.

The original Church : Again travel from the Sheriff Hall R/About and go on the bypass heading for the A1  travel along till you come near the bend carefully keep a lookout on your right,  you should see a square tower in between trees you will only see about half the Tower, the Church is no longer there but this is where the Parish of Newton was.

I was told when doing my research that the Farmer can't Plough the field for fear of digging up bodies, remember in those days there were no coffins and they buried their dead around 10 deep the last one in was about 2 feet from the top, they stopped the latter practice due to the smell of rotten flesh.

The original name for the Village was Neatone, the newer Church that is till standing near Danderhall was built in 1742, the Miners wanted to attend the services but were banned, it took around seven years of writing letters the Presbytery before they were listened to.

Eventually it was decided a balcony would be made for them, however, there were certain demands made, they would enter the church by an outside stair and around 15 minutes before the congregation, the same applied after the service, this was so that the congregation would never see the Miners as they were the lowest form of life. 

There were Cottages named Adam's Row in the Village.

List of Miners when the Petition was put in to attend services below:

1732 - John Pentland, Abraham Steel, Abraham Moffat, Richard Boyd, Thomas Bennet, John Boyd, James Bennet, William Bell, Thomas Pentland.

1747 - Robert Archibald, Hugh Adam elder, Thomas Archibald, Hugh Adam younger, Henry Archibald, Henry Adam James Kinghorn, John Adam.

Thanks Monica for your input it is appreciated and regarding notifications I got this one no problem but will check after this.

Once I get time after this I will list all those that were affected at the Massacre.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi gnu, and thanks for your input. 

I splashed out 22p on Amazon for the Sandy Mullay book, a couple of days ago, and I'm awaiting its arrival.

There is a baptism for Jackie Adam in Newton, on the 2 Sep 1797, a day after the mort cloth entry there for a John Adam.  The baptism record makes no mention of John Adam being deceased, which is the only point I'm concerned about.

I might be accused of being over careful in identifying the Tranent/Macmerry John Adam as "mine", but there were so many of that name in the area.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 October 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Note from NAS on Dundas Letter:

Letter, with enclosures, from Robert Dundas of Arniston, Lord Advocate, Arniston, to [Henry Dundas] on the state of the various counties, the [Militia] Act, the late riot at Tranent, and recommending John Anderson, Cork, contractor for the mail coaches and roads in Ireland, at the request of Robert Allan, printer of the 'Caledonian Mercury'

Dates 13 Sep 1797
Ref:    GD51/5/32/1-3

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Hibee and Monica,

Hibee it could be his death was not registered at that time but the burial went ahead, I then see that he went for medicine for his wife, the question I have is, why travel all that way to Tranent for the medicine, he could have got it at Musselburgh or Dalkeith ( BOOTS the Chemist )!!!, all joking apart Tranent was a heck of a hike or he had a Horse & Cart.

Monica, the whole thing was closed without the bat of an eyelid, Joanna ( Jackie ) Crookston's death was never registered as if it never happened she just disappeared, I have tried on SP and not dot on her except her birth, her husband was William Ross.

They made a mess of the whole affair from the start, firstly the Act should have been that, I think 1 in 10 young men would be called up for service in the new United Kingdom only and not fight any Wars abroad, I think the way the Act was printed looked like our men would fight abroad and that is where the riots started.

The schoolmaster was given the job to inform the powers to be who would be legible for call up from his records, many of the schoolmasters in Scotland done a runner if they were involved.

It still points out that a Mass Murder was committed on UK soil and nobody was brought to task and nobody found guilty, if it happened today it would be a different story, even the newspapers had to watch how they printed anything.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Archie

He was living in Penstone, Macmerry, so Tranent was a mere skip and a jump away, on any other day.....

The only two registered deaths I have found are those for Adam (in Newton) and Moffat (in Salton).  I think the records must have been "redacted" in Tranent.

Hibee

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Hibee,

sorry for that I was getting mixed up with Newton where the rest of you Kin came from, did you try SP ?.

Cheers.

Archie.

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 October 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Here is a list of those affected by the Troopers.

Cheers.

Archie.

KILLED

Joanna ( Jackie ) Crookston - Shot in the street but was found a few days later lying dead in a hedge.

Isabel Rodger -19 years old she was buried the following day.

William Smith - Killed on a stair.

George Elder - Shot in the street.

William Hunter - Shot dead on a rooftop.

William Lawson - A carter going to Tranent was shot in the groin then shot again.

Stephen Brotherston - Shot on the road.

William Laidlaw - He was working in the Field when shot.

Kemp - A young boy of 13 years stabbed in the chest then had his head cut in two. Brother of William Kemp

Alexander Moffatt - A Servant to a Brewer pleaded for his life but shot in the back.

John Adam - A Miner at Penston was shot through the head and robbed of 2 shillings.

WOUNDED

Janet Hogg. John Caddell smashed her face on the door of the Inn.

Janet Forsyth - Was working in the field but left to see what was going on, she was wounded in the arm and carried the bullet the rest of her life.

Adam Blair - stabbed 5 times and recovered. Although severely wounded he eventually became a Prominent Minister and was loved by his Parishioners, he gave a full acount of what had happened that day but was ignored.

Alexander Robertson

Robert Ross - Shot but survived.

William Symington - Shot but survived.

John Blackie - A Carter was shot in the ear near Annfield.

William Montgomery - Shot 4 times but saved by an Officer.

Peter Ness - From Ormiston the soldiers stole his watch.

David Reid - A young boy had one of his fingers cut off.

William Tait - Was stabbed at but the Sabre missed him, he was walking to school with Adam Blair.

William Montgomery - Aged 70 years saved by an Officer.

Thirty people were arrested and stood Trial.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 October 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Nice work, Archie.

Still have not found a Tranent burial on SP for any of the fatalities.

Hibee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 October 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Is there nothing at all in the Sessions records, Hibee? Very strange  :(

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***