Author Topic: 1400s Will in Latin  (Read 1602 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
1400s Will in Latin
« on: Wednesday 26 October 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Could someone help me fill in the red bits, please?

Regards
Grantley

line 1 - In dei no’i’e Amen Ego Joh’nes WADH’M miles condo test’u’ meu’ in hunc modu’ In primis lego A’i’am meam
line 2 - deo b’te Marie virgini et o’ibus sa’s eius et corpus meu’ ad sepelliend’ ut d’s dispon’e voluit Itm lego Johan’a uxor
line 3 - mee centu[m] li. duos magnos discos argenti voc’t chargeos xviij discos argenti sex Salsari’ argenti melio-
line 4 - rum peluem meam argenti cu’ lavacro duos ciphos argenti cu’ coop[er]tor’ factus ad modu’ ?calics? una
line 5 - ciphu’ argenti deaurat’ melior vestimentu’ meum cu’ .... p[er]... altaris de eadem secta meliore
line 6 - calic’ meu’ missale portoforiu’ duas meliores mappas cum manut[er]giis quatuor ollas ‘eneas duas
line 7 - patellas tres lectos meliores un’ unu’ de Tapsarie duos picarios videli’t unu’ potellu’ et unu’ quartu[m] ar-
line 8 - gent’ unu’ Salariu’ argenti unu’ pixide’ voc’ pere totalis instauru’ vinu’ ap’d Muryfeld et unum
line 9 - plaustru’ ligatu’ cu’ ferro. Item lego pro sapiend quator cap’ll’orum pro uno anno locandor’ ad celebr[an]d’
line 10 - p[ro] a’i’a mea Ani’bus quibus teneor xl marcas et si hoc de minor p[re]tio .... possit residuu' .... p[ro]

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1400s Will in Latin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
the other bit

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
I think you have done amazingly with it. "Miles" is the knight and "condo" in Classical Latin is I found or establish (I'm not good on mediaeval). In primis is I think what became Imprimis  so just "First I leave my soul to God and the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints and my body to be buried" then it looks like ut dicto disponere voluit, or voluerunt, as he or they wished to dispose of it and then "Item I leave to my wife Joan", as you have it. I'll come back later and have another look, claytonbradley

I had a go at the last line. If it says pro animam meam, why does he then say animabus quibus, should be animis, but you are right, that's what it looks like. Then et se hoc means and this itself. I wondered if the next word might be a corruption of deminuo, to diminish. The next word I cannot get, unless it's an abbreviation for scilicet. The next word looks like pari, equally and then possit. "And this remainder forsooth could diminish equally".
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Clayton,

I know my translation to English is very crude and it relects my attitude to my education. I think I am trying to do a word for word translation, so that when I revisit it in 5 or 10 years, I might know how I came up with what I did. Others can round it off to a more polished bit of text.

So now I am confident that the Will doesn’t say where he was to be buried.

Lines 8 & 9 appear to be talking about all the wine stocks at Muryfeld.

Lines 9 & 10 appear to be funding for 4 chaplains to pray for nominated souls for a year and if his executors can get them for less than 40 marks, then the remainder can go towards praying for others (that are listed in the following lines)

Regards
Grantley.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
I can only hope I never get back to the 14th century, best wishes, claytonbradley

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
I have reduced this one considerabbly. I am now left with ;
line 5 – could be saying all the appertenances or associated stuff
line 6 – I have no idea what ‘Tapsarie’ could be
line 10 – could be saying something like “if the 4 chaplains can be organised for less than the 40 marks, then the residue can be used for [the soul of my late wife]

Regards
Grantley

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
The OED has a word  tapser, tapserye, var of tapisser tapissery Obs. Tapisser is given as "the early form of the word tapestry", "c1430 LYDG. Min. Poems Clothis of gold, silk and tapcery". cb

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Clayton

Regards
Grantley