Author Topic: Patrick Connor  (Read 1859 times)

Offline jdbPA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick Connor
« on: Friday 28 October 11 03:55 BST (UK) »
Is looking for Patrick Connor in Ireland like looking for John Smith in Kansas? 

My great-great grandfather Patrick Connor lived most of his adult life in West Conshohocken, PA.  The census states he came from Ireland in the 1860's and his wife Annie, (maiden name unknown), in the 1850's.  I did find a John Conner in a neighboring borough in 1860 with a son Patrick, but they had immigrated earlier.  Any one out there know of any Connors from Ireland who moved to Montgomery County Pennsylvania? 
Barr, Lamont, Sproul, Duncan, Shedden, Gilmour, Connor, Armstrong, Maxwell, Carson, Tweed, Woods, Sharp, Brown, Oliver, Harris, Ramsey, McConnell, Walk, Wagner, Rhone, Helm, Harshberger, Bohmwetsch, Bisbing, Levering and DeHaven

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Connor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
unfortunately the answer to your question is yes - but it's more even more complicated in this case since his birth is before the start of civil records in Ireland, meaning you are dependent on church records to find details.

You need to know two details to start this process : the denomination of your [O']Connor family, and also their precise location - i.e. the townland, town or parish.

The best way to proceed is probably to try to establish more detail on your Patrick in US records first..

see:

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jdbPA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I'll try and see if there is a county death cert for him and attempt to find his immigration date.  Immigration dates can be pretty elusive and vary widely on census records.   
Barr, Lamont, Sproul, Duncan, Shedden, Gilmour, Connor, Armstrong, Maxwell, Carson, Tweed, Woods, Sharp, Brown, Oliver, Harris, Ramsey, McConnell, Walk, Wagner, Rhone, Helm, Harshberger, Bohmwetsch, Bisbing, Levering and DeHaven

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Can you tell me more about your relative in Pa and where in Pa you are located?  I too have them in my family and I hear tell of a family reunion coming up in August.  I am in Indiana County, from the TOWNSHIP of Montgomery.

Jan
Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin

Offline jdbPA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Responding 5 years later here.  Montgomery County PA.  They lived around Conshohocken but branched out.  I haven't looked in years.