Author Topic: David AYLING - Baptism Record  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Cappy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David AYLING - Baptism Record
« on: Friday 28 October 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found David Ayling on a family search record, bap/chr 25 Jan 1749, father Jesse, at Hemel Hemstead. Just wondered if there would be anymore info on the actual record if anyone has access to this. Also anything on Jesse. Thank you as it is difficult for me to visit the parishes as I live in France.

Cappy

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David AYLING - Baptism Record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cappy,

Found the parish record for the baptism - 25Jan1749 David  son of Jesse AYLING a Trooper.    In present day terms the date would be 1750 as the new year at that time did not start until April.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 November 11 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Peter,

Cappy

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
David Ayling bapt 25 Jan 1749 Hemel Hempstead, Hertford, son of Jesse Ayling

David's father Jesse may have been born in Buriton, Hampshire in 1702 to a father Jesse. David ends up in nearby Alton, Hampshire. He marries Elizabeth Winkworth (1744-1828) there in 1770 and their first child Elizabeth in 1771. He was a "hollow turner" (i.e. maker of wood bowls, drinking vessels, etc). He and his family hop over to Petersfield Hampshire for a time where his son David dies there in 1777. David Sr. dies in Alton in 1828. Some of his descendants end up back in Hertfordshire in the mid/late 1800's.

Note also the marriage preceding David's birth:

Jesse Ayling m Sarah Sanders 16 Oct 1748 St Giles, Northamptonshire

This might have been a second marriage for Jess because there does seem to be some baptisms for Jess in Buriton for a William and Elizabeth in 1726 and 1730 respectively.

It is an interesting family line that branches off into two very large family trees via David's two surviving sons, James (B. 1774) and George (1782-1831). The former includes Denny Ayling who won the Academy Award for special effects in the the movie Alien. The latter family line includes a great-granddaughter Rosa Collins who married a completely unrelated Edmund Ayling whose own line goes back to Greatham, Sussex.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
Just to add from the original Marriage Entry.

Northampton St. Giles
Jefse Ayling and Sarah Sanders both of this town were married by Lic. Oct 16 1748.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
There are also 1 child baptised at St. Giles.

Northampton St. Giles
Sarah daughter of Jefse Ayling and Sarah his wife May 13 1754

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting. Thanks. Implies that this may be a different Jesse and Sarah or that they moved back and forth. I understand that on David's baptism record it apparently says father Jesse was a "trooper". I haven't seen the original but this military role might explain the movement.

On a related note, I have attempted to capture some of the AYLING family lines coming out of Petersfield, Hampshire from the inception of parish record keeping, including David Ayling. See "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" on ancestry.com. It is a public tree. The two main AYLING lines to the present descend from brothers Thomas (B. 1594) and William (B 1598) of Petersfield. Some guess work here, obviously, but tries to be consistent with movement across Hampshire parishes over time. See slideshow post from Oct 16/16 on Facebook page called "Ayling Family History" which shows parish inhabitants from 1540 to 1770 at 30 year intervals.

Chris

Offline Cappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris for all the information, i will certainly look at the Facebook page as I want to learn all I can about the Aylings. (This was my Mother's maiden name.)
I still need to try and confirm that David's father Jesse is the one from Buriton and was as you say because he was in the military he may have been living in Hertfordshire at the time of David's birth.

Would be grateful for anything else you find,
Sharon

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 October 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
The key, I think, for this family line is the given name "Jesse". It is a somewhat unusual name for the period. Using the parish transcriptions from the Hampshire Genealogical Society, I find only 16 references to the first name "Jesse" in all of Hampshire between 1537-1659 for ALL surnames --one of these being a Jess born about 1616 in East Meon, son of Thomas Aylline. This surname is likely a derivation of the surname AYLING. A John Aylline has two girls baptized in East Meon at about the same time.

There are only 37 "Jesse" for all of Hampshire between 1660-1751 for ALL surnames --only two of which is for an AYLING: Jesse, son of Jess, in Buriton in 1702. There is also Jesse and Margaret having a son William baptized in Petersfield in 26 Apr 1726. They also have a daughter Elizabeth in 1730. I suspect this Jess father is the Jess baptized in Buriton in 1702. This might have been a first marriage with Margaret. Then a second marriage to Sarah in Northhampshire with David Ayling (B. 1749) as their child. So I think it might be reasonable to assume that this unique name is passed down from father to son. Obviously, this is not 100% certain; a completely separate Ayling family might have heard the name and adopted it into their line, but the name is retained with Jesse's descendants right down to the present. This implies that the same "ownership" of the given name carried back into generations before Jesse (B. 1749). As noted above, on that basis I built that Jesse Ayling tree and incorporated it into the larger tree "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" on ancestry.com.

If you are interested you can "check my math" via the all Hampshire parish transcriptions for AYLING (and derivations) that I have posted at http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/mb.ashx. I believe these message boards are accessible to anyone even if not an ancestry.com member. They come up in google searches, for example.

Another avenue to explore might be military movements/stations/regiments in Hertfordshire and Hampshire. I did have a quick look on the internet via various military records for Hertfordshire, but didn't come up with Jesse.

There are a number of descendants working this line. I will certainly let you know if I or they come up with anything further to confirm or change my guesses. I should say that David Ayling is not my direct ancestor. My folks were in the Stedham/Woolbeding area at the start of parish record keeping in the 1540's, but some of those folks owned land in Hampshire and some moved there in the 1600's (eg. John Ayling, founder of the Ayling clan of Liss, descends from John Aylyng D. 1546 of Terwick who, along with his brother Richard Ayling D. 1545, a burgess of Midhurst, founded the Ayling clan of Stedham/Woolbeding, Sussex).

I think the northwest Sussex and north east Hampshire lines all come together in Bramshott and Petersfield pre-record keeping. For example, the Court of Common Pleas has a John and Philip Aylyng of Bramshott suing for trespass a Richard Aylyng of Bramshott and a John Ayling of Terwick in 1516.The "trunk" of the tree probably goes back centuries before that. DNA would probably be the only way to confirm links. However, there was likely constant movement across the county lines.  For example, the miller of Stedham, Sussex was a Michael Aylyng in 1460, so it is not a straigh line movement from Hampshire to Sussex.

My guess is that our ancestors were originally living on or around Hayling Island in Hampshire. The Island was reduced in size over the centuries due to climate change and erosion. Those living near there may have had to re-locate and used that geographical feature as a ancestral memory when providing surnames in the late 1200's. "I am John of Haying". The "H" could have been dropped due to local dialect. I go into this idea in more detail at http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.ayling/164/mb.ashx.

Chris Ayling