Author Topic: David AYLING - Baptism Record  (Read 6142 times)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David AYLING - Baptism Record
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 October 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Pro

The Hertfordshire baptisms name and date of birth of January 1749 seem about right given his marriage in September 1770 in Alton. Also the name Jesse is used in this Ayling family of Hampshire over many generations and is a somewhat unique.

Also while David's two sons, James (B. 1774) and George (1782-1831) remain in Alton, James' son, Jesse (1801-1888), is living in Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire in the 1851 census. Jesse's oldest daughter Sarah Jesse Ayling is said to be born there in 1840, so Jesse would have been living in Hertfordshire from at least that time. Jesse marries Jemimma Attfield in Somerset in 1831, so we might assume he had left Alton even before 1831. It could be a simple coincidence that Jesse (1808-1888) chose to move to Hertfordshire. Jesse, his alleged grandfather would probably have been deceased by 1780, but there could have been some kind of familial link maintained to that area, perhaps via the maternal line.

Cons:

Hertfordshire seems to be too far north (over two counties) from Hampshire to be right. It could be that father Jesse of Hertfordshire was born there. There is a John & Elizabeth Ayling in Sandon, Hertforshire having a son Thomas in 1750, and daughters Elizabeth in 1753 and Sarah in 1757. Jesse, father of the David baptized in 1749, could be a brother and from a completely separate Ayling family living there with no obvious links to Hampshire. The "Jesse" name could be just coincidental.

Further support for a separate family line is that there are earlier records of AYLINGs in Hertfordshire:

England & Wales, Christening Index, 1530-1980
Birth, Marriage & Death    
Name:    Mathew Ayling
Father:    Matthew Ayling
Baptism:    24 Aug 1633 - Barley, Hertfordshire, England

Name:    Susana Ayling
Birth Date:    14 Jun 1668
Baptism Date:    5 Jul 1668
Baptism Place:    Aldenham,Hertford,England
Father:    Rich. Ayling
Mother:    Mary
FHL Film Number:    1040851, 1040852

Name:    Mary Ayling
Baptism Date:    1 Dec 1735
Baptism Place:    Great Amwell,Hertford,England
Father:    John Ayling
Mother:    Sarah
FHL Film Number:    991303

A reference in the 1871 census to a Richard Ayling born about 1800 in Cradeley, Hertfordshire.

The above are using the ancestry.com search engines. There are possible variations of "Ayling" mixed in with the above such as Eeyling and Aling.

Perhaps the answer is that David was born in Buriton or Petersfield and his baptism was not recorded.

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 October 16 03:39 BST (UK) »
I should add that if anyone interested in this line is not using ancestry.com to view the ree mentioned above, I'm happy to e-mail you a .GED file of the tree that you can import into whatever tree program you use. Either message me here --or better yet message me via "Ayling Family History" on Facebook.

Chris Ayling

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 October 16 04:10 BST (UK) »
I just found another thread that referenced James (B. 1774) in a 1841 census for Herts. I can't find this reference in the ancestry.com search engines, so have asked the original poster if she can provide a copy or URL to the doc. If correct, this perhaps makes the connection from Hants to Herts a bit stronger. I will post back here if I find anything.

Chris Ayling

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 October 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
Doesn't come up in ancestry.com search but does come up on ancestry.co.uk:

Name:
James Ayling

Estimated birth year:
abt 1781

Civil Parish:
Great Berkhampstead

Hundred:
Dacorum

County/Island:
Hertfordshire

England

Street address:

Registration district:
Berkhampstead

Sub-registration district:
Berkhampstead

Neighbors:
 View others on page

Piece:

Book:

Folio:

Page Number:

Household Members:

Name

James Ayling  60
 Charlotte Ayling  40
 Mary Isaac Ayling  15

The 1841 census does not distinguish family status or place of birth. They are all listed as turners. James does not seem to appear in 1851 census. Given his age, likely deceased. I find no burial record for him in Hertsfordshire of Hampshire. Who is Charlotte? Born around 1800. She is likely his daughter, given her age, but no baptism record in Alton, Hampshire for her. Who is Mary Issac (which is James' wife Mary maiden name) Ayling? I thought she might be his granddaughter via son Issac 1806-1886, but his family, including Mary, is captured in the 1841 census for Buckinghamshire. So Mary would have to be the daughter of one of James sons: William, David (B. 1796) of George (B. 1802) --all in Alton, Hampshire.

This may be Charlotte from the 1851 census:

Name:
Charlotte Ayling

Estimated birth year:
abt 1798

Relation:
Visitor

Where born:
Alton, Hampshire, England

Civil Parish:
St Pancras

Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:

County/Island:
Middlesex

England

Registration district:
Pancras

Sub-registration district:
Kentish Town

Household schedule number:

Piece:

Folio:

Page Number:

Household Members:

Henry Budd  40
 Sarah Budd  33
 William Budd  3
 Mary Ann Budd  1
 Charlotte Ayling  53
 Henry Pratt  21
 Richard Patrick  33

Offline Cappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 October 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chris for looking into this, I have presumed that my 'David' is the one born in Hertfordshire, but of course he could come from Hampshire but no birth record.
I look forward to any information you find,
Sharon

Offline Cappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 October 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Its interesting that Charlotte Ayling was living in Kentish Town in 1851, as my great great Grandfather born in Alton in 1831, living in Berhamstead in 1851, was married and living in St Pancras in 1858 which is very near to Kentish Town.

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 October 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
And I am now wondering if the person above who saw the original baptism for David and thought he father's occupation was "trooper"....mis-read it for "turner". This is a trade that is consistent for David and James and perhaps other descendants. If so was there something that would have required travel as a "turner of wood vessels, bowls, etc to travel from Hertfordshire to Hampshire and back over generations?  But I think with son, James living in Hertfordshire, this strengthens the idea that father David was born in Hertfordshire to Jesse. I don't think this discounts Jesse originally coming from Hampshire. I'll keep chipping away.

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 February 17 02:43 GMT (UK) »
David's father was in fact a "trooper":

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges, 1715-1925
Name    Jesse Ayling
Pension Admission or Examination Age    52
Birth Year    abt 1702
Birth Place    Petersfield
Pension Admission or Examination Date    27 Feb 1754
Regiment    Royl. Regt. of Horse Gds.

Jesse was actually baptized in Buriton, Hampshire in 1702. His father was Jesse, deceased in 1710. Jesse Sr. was a mason. He left a Will (I have a copy) where he bequeaths to wife Rachel and sons Thomas and Jesse, both under 25 years. He married Rachel in Kirdford, Sussex in 1696. Thomas was baptized in 1697 in Buriton.

Jesse (B. 1702) married twice. First to Margaret Standford at St. Martins in Chichester, Sussex on May 28, 1723. His name was recorded as "Aylwin" in error. The interchangeability of Ayling and Aylwin happens a lot in the pre mid 1700 period but usually settles out to Ayling. Jesse then married Sarah Sanders in Northampshire in 1748. Son David was born in Hertfordshire in 1749. Jess was obviously moving around as part of his occupation in the military.

Jesse (D. 1710) was probably born somewhere around 1670. I haven't found his birth record yet. I am presently working through the Hampshire records checking all variation of the "Ayling"
 name. There was a a Jesse Ayling born to Thomas at nearby East Meon in 1616.  This may be Jess (D. 1710) grandfather.

With some guesswork I have this line going back to the 1500's. See "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" on ancestry.com. It's a very large tree in that many of these folks ended up moving to Worthing, Sussex in the 19th century where the intermarried with other Ayling family groups, often via maternal lines so they probably would not have been aware of their surname ancestors.

I suspect these lines are linked up with the Aylings further south in Portsea, etc (e.g. Sir William Bock Ayling) but I have yet to make the definitive link.

These family lines probably link up to mine which runs through John Aylyng of Bramshott, Hampshire (D. 1511) who was likely the Reeve of Droxford Manor in the late 1400's. However, the link obviously pre-dates parish record keeping.

Chris Ayling
Canada

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 April 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Jesse Ayling (1665-1710) has a stone memorial within St. Mary's in Buriton, Hampshire. It says:

"Near this place
lies interr'd the body
of Jesse Ayling
of this parish Mason
who died Decem 17 1710
aged 45
Also W. Hall who died
Sep 15 1751 Aged 60".

Jesse married Rachel Collins in Kirdford, Sussex in 1696. William Hall may have been Jesse's mason apprentice. When Jesse died Rachel then married William. She died in 1757. Her Buriton burials says : 'Widow Hall of Weston 15/3/1757.' She likely did the memorial for both.

Jesse's father is a guess (because the Buriton parish records being in the late 1690's), but there is a John Ayling paying hearth taxes in Buriton in 1665. John's father was likely Jesse Aylline (B. 1616) of East Meon.

See "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" on ancestry.com for the entire line back to the 1500's in Petersfield, Hampshire and the many intermarriage lines going to the present.