Author Topic: Help with a translation please  (Read 1241 times)

Offline alor

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a translation please
« on: Friday 28 October 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
The attached postcard was sent in 1915 to Otomatsu and Fujino (nee Mayeda)Kawasaki. Could anyone help me with a translation of the Japanese message please? The front of the card seems to be small photos of mainly young people. Has anyone seen a postcard like this before - surely they can't all be family or perhaps they are a school class.
Both Otomatsu (bn 1888) and Fujino (bn 1895) were born in Japan and I think married in California around 1912/13. The family later moved to Dry Creek, Placer where I found them in the 1920 & 1930 Censuses. Otomatsu came to California via Hawaii arriving in San Francisco in 1907. Fujino (Mayeda) states she arrived in the US in about 1899/1900 in both censuses following her marriage but so far I've been able to trace her and her family on passenger lists or censuses pre marriage. Any ideas please?
Many thanks
Alor

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a translation please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find her brothers/sisters on immigration lists?  I see that she was living in Township 1, District 6, Placer County in 1930. In Township 1, District 5, Placer County in 1930 was a man named Chinonosuke(?) Mayeda, age 61 and it looks like he immigrated in 1899.

Sailing on the Coptic, port of arrival was San Francisco, 17 April 1899, was a Chonosuke(?) Mayeda, age 29 and 1 month, Merchant.  His last residence was Wakayama.  Above his name is Hiroshi Mayeda, age 35 and 2 months, Farmer.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline alor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.
Probably one or the other of these men is probably Fujino's father but I'd feel happier if I could find either of them in 1900, 1910 or 1920. It's driving me nuts all the different spellings and mistranscriptions!!
Did the men usually come to the US in advance of their families or did they just record only the men on the passenger lists?
My problem is there is no family knowlege of the names of her parents. When she died in Minnesota in 1968 only her maiden name was recorded with mother's maiden name recorded as unknown.
I was hoping there would be a clue in the Japanese writing on the postcard!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of her siblings?  We might be able to find some clues.

There were very few females on the passenger lists that I was checking.  I was wondering if they weren't included for some reason.  I also didn't see many children on the lists.

I may be able to have someone try to read the postcard, but it could take a month or more.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline alor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 11 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I think there was mention of one of Fujino's bothers but I need to check on the name which I'll try to do this afternoon.

I've just been researching Tule Lake Camp where I know Otomatsu and Fujino and their daughters were interned during WW2. I notice there were several Mayeda/Maeda familes there also but no Chonosuke or Hiroshi as far as I can see but some of the children from the 1930 census entry appear. More searching needed I think even though it's beginning to give me a headache!!

It would be great if you could get a translation. Don't worry if it takes time I'd just love to know what it says and hopefully it might reveal a clue.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alor,

I can have a go at the message, but it would help if you could scan it in at a higher resolution/larger image size.
For the moment, I can tell you that it's upside down! You may need to get someone with better knowledge as pre-war Japanese is a bit different.

It may be from one of Fujino's relatives, it looks to me like it's signed 前田 , i.e. "Maeda", although I can't quite read what the full name says.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Many apologies for getting it upside down but having no knowledge of written Japanese it wasn't difficult to make a mistake!!!!! I'm afraid this is the highest res I can make the post card. Spoke to my friend this afternoon and he does remember Fujino mentioning one brother Si/Ci/Chi/Shi who settled in the Stockton, Ca area which would fit in with Chiyonosuke/Chonosuke being a member of the family possibly father or Uncle. He says the problem was she spoke English OK but could never read or write it.
Also discovered today the 1930 Census entry for the Uncle (mistranscribed as niece!!) the head of Household was Eiichi (Yiichi on his passager list info for entry into the US in 1914) Maeda who married Tomi Onishi abt 1923. From his WW1 registration his father was Hiroshi Mayeda living at 219 Eaye (? Eye St) Sacramento in 1918.
Don't know if any of this helps but the surname was variously spelt as Mayeda/Maeda or there maybe many other spellings - who knows!
I could always crop just the words on the postcard if it will help. Just let me know.

Offline alor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Here's just the writing!