Author Topic: Esposti  (Read 8676 times)

Offline october123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esposti
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone could tell me if a Marie Esposti (married to Howard Jones, with a son called (*) Jones) fits into their tree any where?
Marie was my grandmother, Ive found a birth entry of 1928 for her and I think she died around 1956 when my father(*) was around 12.  He remembers hearing the name Teresa and thinks Marie had a brother called Jo who was married to Alice.
 Because of her relatively early death i know very little about the Italian side of the family.  I was always lead to believe that Marie's family had an ice cream parlour and lived near Splott in cardiff, also that as she married a non catholic her family did have much to do with her after her marriage. 
If anyone can give me any information I would be most grateful.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 11 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello October123  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

You can search for many births, marriages, and deaths on freebmd:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

There is a marriage in 1937 in Cardiff, but that would mean that the 1928 birth would be the wrong one. There is a birth of Mary Esposti in 1908, which is a possible.

Kind regards
Morgan

Offline Louise Chehdan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary Esposti was my Dads aunt, so yes I know of her. She was Nicola and Maria's daughter born around 1908/9 and they did have a coffee shop/ Ice-cream parlour in penarth road. I have a photo of her wedding day with my grandfather Charles Esposti standing in it only I don't know how to attach a photo! when I use the attach photo  at the bottom of the page I don't see anyway to get to my photos! Teresa was a sister there were also her brothers Joseph, Louis, Charles , Peter and I think Mary was the youngest! I have contact with a few of the family in Cardiff, thanks to sites like this. 
So yet another cousin for me and my sister!!
Kind regards
Louise
Esposti, Regan, Catford,  Gardiner, Jelfs, Walker, Mason Rose, Greenacre,

Offline october123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ichedan,

Thanks for the response and further info.  I note that you have completed most of your family tree.  With such limited information we are finding it very hard.

I wonder whether you have any info with regards to Marie Esposti and whether she is actually my father's mother.  The only info I have is that she died when my dad who was born in 1942 was 12 years old.  I also know that Marie had a brother who was called Joe and that he was married to Alice.  Does this link in with your family tree at all.

Any information that any one has with regards to these names would be extremely helpful.  My father has been trying to trace any family for years.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
One more Post October123 and you can exchange PMs with Louise (lchehdan), and then you can give your email addresses off forum and continue the conversation privately.  :)

How exciting to reunite cousins!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Louise,
Trade Directories (on line) have Nicholas Esposti at 176 Penarth Rd 1900/1901 - "Ice Cream Maker" + the 1901 Census. But by 1911 he is no longer in the business. Checked the Trade Directories in Glam Records Office, Cardiff today.

Two available for 1905 and 1906 - no mention of an Esposti or Nardini

Kelly's Directory 1910
Mardine (with an M), Lewis, Shopkeeper, 69 Carlisle St, South Splottlands

Western Mail Cardiff Directories 1915, 1920, 1922, 1924
Lewis Nardini, Confectioner, 69 Carlisle St, Moors

Western Mail Cardiff Directory 1929
Lewis Esposti, St Louis, Dalmuir Road, Moors
Nicholas Esposti, Confectioner, 69 Carlisle Street, Moors

Western Mail Cardiff Directory 1932
Lewis Esposti, 52 Mynachdy Road, Mynachdy
Nicholas Esposti, Confectioner, 69 Carlisle St

The next Trade Directory was dated 1949 - no trace of an Esposti/Nardini in the business.

So, Nicholas, having dropped out of the business after leaving 176 Penarth Road (between 1901 and 1905) returned to the business by 1929 when he's at 69 Carlisle St (previously Lewis Nardini's business). Explains why family members have memories of ice cream at Nicholas' post WW1?

Couldn't check Electoral Rolls - those pre 1949 are held at Cardiff Central Library.

However, the original enquiry was to put a name to the cafe - still outstanding. By coincidence, walking back from the Records to the City Centre I found myself on Penarth Rd - but insufficient time to double back and view No 176.

Hope this helps and good luck with the search.

regards

Offline Louise Chehdan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
What a kind person you are, I am so pleased that my dads memories were right and that he did eat ice cream from the churn! (thats where he learned to speak Italian)
By 1935 Nicolas and Maria Esposti had died and Joseph and Lewis his sons had become dock labourers (they were left £195 2s 7d by their father) the rest of the family had obviously moved on. I will keep searching for the shop name but I expect to the records offices it wasn't too important. I shall ask around the family members that I have met since I have been searching.
Thank you so much for all you've done.
Kind regards
Louise Chehdan (Esposti that was!) 
Esposti, Regan, Catford,  Gardiner, Jelfs, Walker, Mason Rose, Greenacre,

Offline Jones121

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 December 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, reading this with interest. I am one of Maria and Howard jones granddaughters. I think Maria was the youngest of the children. I'm assuming that nardini was Maria (who married Nicholas esposti ) maiden name as she was traveling to uk with her sister, a nardini? Nardini is linked to ice cream , I think there's a nardinis ice cream parlour up north? I was wondering if this was where the ice cream connection came from? Any luck with the name of the parlour on penarth road?

Offline Stephen Brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 January 16 00:52 GMT (UK) »
hi my name is Stephen, my great grandad was called Joseph Esposti and he lived in splott south wales, he ran a shop there.. my mother often stayed there and speaks highly of him, i was lucky to meet his wife my great grandma, when i was young, im still in touch with many off his and our family, im pround off my family from splott, i have photos and things from the shop, hope to speak soon