Author Topic: Ann Stephens (Actress)  (Read 28973 times)

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stephens (Actress)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:13 GMT (UK) »
A book has been written about Ann, the info has been taken from free online sources on  the internet.   

Offline Romantic Spirit

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the title and author of this book, please?

Thank you, JulieW, for your very kind and diligent assistance!

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Title Ann Stephens author Zheng Cirino.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 11 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From Amazon which is selling the book

'Product Description
Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Ann Stephens (born 21 May 1931) was a British actress, popular in the 1950s. She was born in London. In July 1941 she recorded several songs including a setting of one of AA Milne's verses about Christopher Robin: "Changing Guard at Buckingham Palace" which often featured on the BBC Light Programme's Children's Favourites. Selected Filmography: Dear Octopus (1943), Fanny by Gaslight (1944), They Were Sisters (1945), The Upturned Glass (1947), No Room at the Inn (1948), The Franchise Affair (1951).'

Zheng Cirino seems to have quite a few similar books - he's very prolific, quite exceptionally so

http://berkelouw.com.au/browse/all/by/Zheng-Cirino
http://berkelouw.com.au/catalogue/books/9786137321744/ann-stephens

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellie590

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
@Romantic spirit I was watching a video of Ann Stephens of Youtube if you are still looking and the comment was made "The grave of the girl who inspired the character of alice can be found in Guestling, East Sussex." you can find the page at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Z5LpHuXVE&list=PLED5569A9AACB0FD6&index=20
Hope it helps

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth having a look at the online archive of The Stage - you can get a short-term subscription for about £5. It's possible to do some searching without a subscription to see if it's worth exploring.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Matt7924

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 March 21 16:52 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but I have been reading about Ann Stephens on and off for a while. I first heard of her when my nan said the girl on the TV test card looked like Ann Stephens.  When I asked her Ann who?, she told me about Ann being a child actress.

I have looked at The Stage on the British Newspaper Archive and there is no mention of Ann's death in 1966. I'm not sure where all the sources come from sayign she died on 31st July 1966.

I was watching an episode of the early ITV series The Adventures of Sir Lancelot online yesterday and Ann appears in it, playing the main guest role.  I noticed how "frightfully posh" she sounded, even compared to the other actors.  The later episodes of The Adventures of Sir Lancelot were filmed in colour and it was the first British TV series in colour.  The episode with Ann is important as it was the first colour episode and so the first ever colour episode of any British series.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
Still nothing on Ann Stephens' death  :-\ However, a little more on her if it helps from checking some records and others research.

Ann G Stephens' birth is registered in Hampstead in 3rd Qrt 1931.

Her father, Lucian, was born in 1894 in Barnet. He married Kathleen Blake in Marylebone in 1925. The couple look to have had 3 girls:

Angela K. b. 1928 Hendon - d. 1982 London
Ann G. 1931 Hampstead - d. ?
X  b. 1934 Battersea - do not know if she is deceased

Lucian, son of Julian Stephens and Minna Mary Pelisier, died in Marylebone in 1958.

Kathleen Blake b. 1905 - died in Devon in 1995.

'The Tatler' ran a story on 3 October 1945:

Infant Prodigy: Little Ann Stephens, Stage, Film and Radio Star

... Octopus, the child Fanny in Fanny by Gaslight, and Judith in They Were Sisters. Ann is the daughter of Lt.-Cdr. and Mrs. Lucien Stephens, and has one older sister at college, while her younger sister, xxx, appeared with her in They Were Sisters Mr. J. Laurier ...

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

I haven't got access to the full story here.

But still no trace of Ann Stephens' death in the UK although people continue to quote the death date mentioned above in 1966.

Monica

Added: Apologies, Matt. Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 March 21 22:44 BST (UK) »
The 1939 register has no additional info on the daughters, their records still redacted.

However, sister Angela's death does show in London under her married name in 1982.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk