Author Topic: Ann Linday chr c1763 Kirkby Ireleth Lookup please  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Linday chr c1763 Kirkby Ireleth Lookup please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 April 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
There are no Lindows  baptised in Blawith between 1745 and 1875
as common as the name may be,even now,there are also no burials or marriages,in the Blawith church records,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Cumbrian Pete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
True, but there is a William Lindow, overseer of the poor at Oxenhouse, Blawith in 1751

In the 18th century, there are quite a few Lindows in Lowick, which is just south of Blawith.  There are more Lindows in Ulverston, many of whom are living around Broughton Beck and Egton townships, which border on to Lowick.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
I know the name well ,living in the area Pete and can reasure you she wasnt baptised Blawith as I have been to the records office in Barrow, and checked right through,
but your input is appreciated as we need a few more researchers this far North,that know the area,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Cumbrian Pete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 September 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The abstract of the Will of James Lindow, Yeoman of Broughton Beck from 1796 that is in the National Archives helps here.  The abstract mentions James's surviving brothers John and William.  More particularly, it also mentioned his cousins Thomas, who lived with the testator, and James, Thomas's brother. 

Also mentioned, but not identified as cousins, are Phoebe Coward of Knapperthaw, Anne Newton of Wellhouse in Kirkby, William Coward of Knapperthaw and Mary Simpson, wife of James Simpson, Blacksmith of Broughton Beck.   I know from other research that Phoebe, William and Mary are siblings of the testator's cousins Thomas and James.  Their parents are William Lindow of Hawkswell, d 1768, and his wife Anne, nee Postlethwaite.  From the Will of the latter mentioned William Lindow, it is known that he had a daughter Anne alive in 1768.  I can't see another Anne Newton in Kirkby round the same time, so it looks to me that the Ann who married William Newton in Blawith in 1784 was Anne Lindow, and that Linday is a typo/misreading.  From her gravestone, she was 82 when she died in March 1839, so would be a reasonable match for the Anne, daughter of William Lindow of Flann, Mansriggs, baptised at Ulverston 22 Oct 1757.

Anne Postlethwaite, wife of William Lindow of Hawkswell, was daughter of Robert Postlethwaite of Hierlath/Higherlath Osmotherley, and his wife Ann, nee Higgin, daughter of William Higgin of Osmotherley and his wife Mary, nee Atkinson  I have a copy of William Higgin's Will that mentions his son-in-law Robert Postlethwaite from 1715 that shows this.

The abstract of James Lindow Will from 1796 has 2 other items of interest: it mentions another cousin Isabel Muckelt and her daughter Hannah Yeats.  I haven't fitted these 2 in yet.  It also says that James Lindow, the cousin, doesn't get his inheritance until he takes a good and lawful wife and behaves properly toward her. I wonder what was the cause of this?

Best wishes,

Pete

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 09:11 BST (UK) »
I have a Phoebe Coward in my tree, married Myles Shaw, her mum was a Lindow I believe, the same person in the will maybe? They were my 5 or 6 x g grandparents, cant work it out without my file in front of me  :)

Regards
Catherine
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Cumbrian Pete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
The Phoebe Coward in the Will was born Phoebe Lindow in 1753,  married John Coward, a tailor at Knapperthaw, and died at Hawkswell in 1802.

I have that it was John and Phoebe's daughter Hannah that married Myles Shaw in 1818, and that their daughter Phoebe married William Sparke.

I can only find one child of Myles and Hannah Shaw: Phoebe, b 1823 Finsthwaite.  Do you know of any more?

Phoebe Coward, nee Lindow, is my Greatx4 Great-aunt.

Best wishes,

Pete

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply, got my file in front of me now, yes Hannah Coward married Myles Shaw, Hannah's parents were John Coward and Phoebe nee Lindow.
I have the following as children of Myles Shaw and Hannah nee Coward -
John chr 23.2.1820
Agnes chr. 9.12.1821
Phoebe chr. 9.11.1823
Thomas chr. 11.9.25
William chr. 1.6.1828
James chr. 3.10.1830
Samuel chr. 11.11.1832
Richard chr. 2.11.1834
Hannah chr. 23.7.1837
Michael chr. 6.1.1840

In 1841 census, James, Samuel, Richard and Hannah are with their parents Miles and Hannah.

My tree is me, my mum Linda May Marland, grandad Frederick Shaw, great grandad Richard James Shaw, 2xg grandad William Shaw, 3x g grandad Richard Shaw, who is the son of Myles and Hannah

Regards
Catherine
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs