Author Topic: 3 COUGHLAN brothers.  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3 COUGHLAN brothers.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help and links, will look for any mention of the murder in Hawick newspapers, their mother Agnes Glendinning Mackenzie died in Ashfield 1920 just before the brothers left for Scotland,

will post if I find any more details,

Cheers
Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline EricC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 November 14 06:56 GMT (UK) »
I am the grandson of Charles McKenzie Coughlan, one of the three brothers.

Charles had a daughter, Ruth, and a son, Hector, my father, with Margret.  After Margret's death, he re-married and had another daughter.

Both Ruth and Hector are now deceased.

I am the only child of Hector.

Eric

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 November 14 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric  :)

Welcome to rootschat.  :)

It is not permitted to post names of living or possible living people on rootschat.  Would you please modify your post and remove those names.

Policy on living people
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 November 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eric, happy to share any info I have on the family who were in Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland, did you know anything about the Burns/Crawford connection?

Regards
Amanda.
I have sent you a P.M.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 November 14 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Eric, I will try to send the photo of the family headstone in the Wellogate Cemetery, Hawick.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Coloes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Teri, if this post is still active, I am Eric's cousin and our Grandfather Charles was awarded the Military Medal and here is the amazing action he carried out to receive such a distinguished award. I still have to determine the year of his actions and I have the story of his brother Paul's actions if interested. I had no idea of this history as we grew up and was suitably amazed when I read it.

AUSTRALIAN ACTION FOR WHICH COMMENDED

On the 19th August the Headquarters of this Bde (6th Army Bde. A.F.A.) was situated at ROSIERES. At about 4pm there was considerable shell fire on the front areas and it was thought that a hostile attack was impending. A considerable concentration of fire from 4.2 guns with instantaneous fuzes was placed in front of the Headquarters and on the route through which all communication from the Headquarters and on the infantry all lines being out. Sgt HARRISON called for a volunteer to assist him in repairing the lines and Sapper COUGHLAN immediately joined him and these 2 men proceeded at the immediate risk of their lives and with great bravery and determination into the shelled area where they continue to work for a considerable period exposed to the hostile fire endeavouring to keep the communication intact and repairing breaks in the various lines as they occurred in so doing, they exposed themselves regardless of risks and with the greatest courage enabling communication to be obtained from time to time with the infantry and with various Units of the artillery and finally succeeded after 1 ½ hours work in restoring the whole of the communications.
Their efforts were of vital importance to the Group and productive of the best results and the bravery and determination displayed was of the highest character. Both men have both been previously brought to notice during the last week for their excellent work under most trying conditions.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Teri, if this post is still active, I am Eric's cousin and our Grandfather Charles was awarded the Military Medal and here is the amazing action he carried out to receive such a distinguished award. I still have to determine the year of his actions and I have the story of his brother Paul's actions if interested. I had no idea of this history as we grew up and was suitably amazed when I read it.

AUSTRALIAN ACTION FOR WHICH COMMENDED

On the 19th August the Headquarters of this Bde (6th Army Bde. A.F.A.) was situated at ROSIERES. At about 4pm there was considerable shell fire on the front areas and it was thought that a hostile attack was impending. A considerable concentration of fire from 4.2 guns with instantaneous fuzes was placed in front of the Headquarters and on the route through which all communication from the Headquarters and on the infantry all lines being out. Sgt HARRISON called for a volunteer to assist him in repairing the lines and Sapper COUGHLAN immediately joined him and these 2 men proceeded at the immediate risk of their lives and with great bravery and determination into the shelled area where they continue to work for a considerable period exposed to the hostile fire endeavouring to keep the communication intact and repairing breaks in the various lines as they occurred in so doing, they exposed themselves regardless of risks and with the greatest courage enabling communication to be obtained from time to time with the infantry and with various Units of the artillery and finally succeeded after 1 ½ hours work in restoring the whole of the communications.
Their efforts were of vital importance to the Group and productive of the best results and the bravery and determination displayed was of the highest character. Both men have both been previously brought to notice during the last week for their excellent work under most trying conditions.
Hi Coloes, yes post is still active, I just don't get notified when there is a reply, maybe there is a way to make that happen, thank you for the information, I was visiting Hawick, Scotland over the summer, I will send you a PM.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline Coloes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 June 21 05:40 BST (UK) »
I am a son of Ruth McKenzie Coughlan (deceased 2012) and Grandson of Charles MacKenzie Coughlan (deceased 1966).
As noted in previous posts and I can confirm the following re: 3 Brothers Coughlan:

Charles - Served 6th Army Bde. AFA. Service No. 2898 Awarded the Military Medal following his actions in Rosieres France on 19th August 1918. Married Margaret MacGregor Burns.

Paul - Served 6th Army Bde. AFA. Service No. 15353 Awarded the Military Medal following his actions in Hooge, Belgium on 25th September 1917. Later on 6th December 1921 shot and killed brother Hector whilst aboard the Leyland liner "Irishman". Arrested and sent to the Broadmoor Psychiatric Hospital diagnosed as Insane & mentally unstable due to Shell-Shock from WW1. I have no record of his burial site.

Hector - Joined the Army Service No. 77550, later transferred to the Air Corps as a Radio Operator. As mentioned he was killed by Paul and buried on arrival in England. I have no record of his burial site.

If anyone can confirm and advise the burial sites of both Paul and Hector this would be greatly appreciated as I would like to visit their resting places to pay my respects in the future.

Thank you.
Colin Mead