Author Topic: Wakefield Ltd of Chiswick and Brentford  (Read 5849 times)

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wakefield Ltd of Chiswick and Brentford
« on: Monday 31 October 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I don't know whether this is the correct place to post but I am looking for information on the photographers Wakefield Ltd of Chiswick and Brentford.  This website shows a photograph of one of their shops

http://www.hounslow.info/libraries/localstudies/high-street-history-brentford-chiswick.htm

James Edward Morgan sent his brother a photograph of himself in a letter dated 21st April 1931.  As mentioned in another post, James worked for the Shanghai Municipal Council and came back to England in 1930, so the picture could have been taken then.  What I am wondering is whether any records of old photographers have been kept and, if so, where?

James is our very own Piorot!

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield Ltd of Chiswick and Brentford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dora,all I can find so far is that Frank Wakefield occupied 137 High St.Brentford from 1905 - 1920.The building itself was owned by the Stacey Clitherow family.The photographic studio was in stables at the rear.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 11 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information.  I am hoping to find somewhere where records are still kept to maybe get an address for James before he moved to Shanghai, but this is a long shot.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the Electoral Registers for the area in that time frame could be the way to go.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

The trouble is I only have him in the 1891 Census where he is living at 14 Wellesley Street aged 6.  After that I cannot trace him.  What year do the Electoral Registers start?

James Morgan came back to England in 1930 on board the SS "Macedonia" from Yokohama on 4th April.  He gave his destination address as being "4 Old Trinity Road, East Finchley, London N2".  I contacted the historical electoral register people, sent them a copy of the passenger list and asked them to look up who was living at that address on that date.  They replied to say that that address did not exist and that the nearest address they could find was for 4 Trinity Road, not 4 Old Trinity Road.

Dora

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help Carol.  I am taking steps to get a British Library Reader's Ticket.  I am going to TNA on Thursday and if I have time I will go to the British Library also.  Since they have electoral registers, I think this is my best way forward.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome...good luck :D
Carol

Offline paulk1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

We are clearing out a few belongings from an elderly relative and came across a few photos from Wakefield Ltd of Chiswick & Brentford, I know your post goes back to 2011 but if you are still looking you are welcome to have them.

Paul