Author Topic: Kirkcudbrightshire Memorial Inscription lookup request  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcudbrightshire Memorial Inscription lookup request
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 09:05 GMT (UK) »
John & Janet's marriage certificates and death certificates (if in Scotland after 1854) should give their parents.  Janet's death cert should certainly be available. Together these certs would determine if they were brother and sister. You said you tried Scotlandspeople for John, have you tried Scotlandspeople for Janet's certs?

Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I haven't tried Janet's marriage or death certificate because I already know that her parents were John Cowper and Margaret Johnstone, and Margaret Johnstone's parents were John Johnstone and Janet Charters .
 John Martindale was married Aug 7th 1853, and I was sent a brief record of this with no details at all.
 Perhaps I should try his death certificate. What has put me off doing that is that "Scotland's People" had told me that because his death was reported by someone who was not a family member (He was widowed by this time and living as a boarder with a local crofter) his parent's names would not have appeared on his death certificate. He did however have daughters in Dumfries, so do you think they would have been consulted for information on his death certificate? I would gladly purchase a copy if there is a chance that the information has been there all the time!
 Thanks again for your help so far,
 Corriebell.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
You are right of course, Janet’s parents are given above – it is her mother who is possibly John’s sister. Scotlandspeople are also right.  When a death is registered by a neighbour they are not likely to know the details of the deceased parents. 
But I would add that you shouldn’t need to buy certs when using Scotlandspeople when you can view up to 25 search returns for 1 credit (23 p) and view a single page of the register book (i.e.3 or 4 cetts0 for just 5 credits (115p).  You have to buy English certs but Scottish ones can be downloaded and viewd on-line.
Have a look at these clips:

Added: Only small sections of certificates can be added for help with deciphering. Thank you.

My apologies to Moderator MonicaL. 
I've sent small clips before and these were acceptable. They were mostly in secretary script right enough. I find the 'rules' a little confusing on this point, sorry for this rule infringement.
Had I typed out out the detail in full rather than use a combined jpeg graphic would that have been allowed?  Please clarify if it was the graphic or the content that broke the rule?
Thanks,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »

Had I typed out out the detail in full rather than use a combined jpeg graphic would that have been allowed?  Please clarify if it was the graphic or the content that broke the rule?

Hi Sy

It is OK to transcribe details from certificates (or census images) and include those details in your post. From the way you ask the question, it is the graphic that carries the copyright rather than the content.

When people have a problem with making out some of the content, including a small section of the original image is acceptable. It is only the posting of the entire image that causes copyright issues.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sy--or is it Johnner--I'm as confused as you are, for trying to be helpful, but as you say rules are rules--It's understanding them that is difficult--all to do with copyright.
 I could just point out that Janet's Mother couldn't be John's sister because John and Janet are practically the same age!Nice try though! Corriebell