Author Topic: Hampson family - Runcorn watermen  (Read 35695 times)

Offline LGH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hampson family - Runcorn watermen
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have come across other baptism records which are believe are William and Mary’s other children -  sons Joseph Sept 12 1813 and Thomas June 18 1815; occupation then mariner and living in Stockton Heath. This seems to me to link in geographically, by name with the 2 later Josephs in my own Hampson line and with the mariner / waterman / ferryman work theme.

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
Ref: Richard Hampson 1768-1826 two partners.  Hannah Perrin and Mary Roylance. I find a marriage to Mary in Liverpool 19 March 1800.  I find no such marriage to Hannah - only two children Richard 1798.  Sarah 1800.  I find a burial of Hannah Hampson  30 June 1802 aged 55, all Saints Church Runcorn which puts Hannah's birth as 1747 - not realistic if Richard 1798 and Sarah 1800 are hers - perhaps the burial age is in question. (All referenced to Family Search)

Thank you Ceratonia I found the marriage registration of Richard Hampson to Hannah Perrin in the Bishops Transcripts - no date however was given.  Their two children Richard 1798 and Sarah 1800 both of Lymm also registered.   As to the death of Hannah Hampson 30 June 1802 age 55: I believe this to be a transcription error and the age should read 35!  this makes her known birth in 1767 absolutely correct.  FrankRay.
Runcorn Cheshire: Crosby
Runcorn Cheshire: Hampson
Cuerdley Lancs: Crosby
Hale Lancs: Crosby/Crosbie
Avening Glos: Minty
Bromham Wiltshire: Minty
Haughton Green Lancs: Pollitt
Hyde Cheshire: Middleton

Offline Ceratonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
The marriage to Hannah Perrin is in the Lymm records which you can access online at the Cheshire Parish Registers database. The date of her baptism (30 May 1773) is also there and you can trace her descent (I think, courtesy of a relatively uncommon surname) from William Perrin & Mary Newall and then Joseph Perrin & Hannah Robinson of High Legh who married in 1731.  So - I don't think the Hannah Hampson who dies in Runcorn 1802 is the one nee Perrin who is/was married to Richard Hampson.

Interesting find LGH. Can't seem to find Joseph H(1813) or Thomas H(1815) in any later records, although I haven't looked too hard. Stockton Heath/Grappenhall/Lymm/Runcorn all right on the Bridgewater Canal, as you say (and Bowdon is only a mile or two away). The canal was built a few years before William Hampson was born - and then extended to Runcorn in the 1770s.

Offline Ceratonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
So - if Charles & Ann are the correct parents for William Hampson, father of John Hampson, we have (from IGI)

Charles Hampson (age 21 batchelor) m Ann Massey 9 Jan 1755 Bowdon
and then baptisms in Bowdon with parents Charles & Ann

Charles Hampson 14 Sep 1760
James Hampson 23 May 1762
Alice Hampson 23 May 1762
John Hampson 13 May 1764
William Hampson 16 Sep 1770
George Hampson 30 May 1773

Charles Hampson Burial 26 Sep 1776 Bowdon

That doesn't quite match what I was expecting, as we know William has a brother Richard. Of course, there are plenty of gaps in the above list where other children could've been born.

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I was surprised (and pleased!) to see some recent replies to my original post!

Ceratonia - you might be interested to know that the name Owen was given to Robert Owen Hampson as his mother's maiden name was Jane Owen, the daughter of William Owen, a Master mariner from Frodsham, Cheshire.

I have a contact who has done literally years of research about our Hampsons and she tells me she's pretty sure that the birth she's found for William Hampson who married Mary Perrin must be correct - 16/9/1770 - Bowdon -William- son of Charles and Ann - of Hale.  This ties in perfectly with his date of death  in 1822 aged 52.  Residence, Stockton Heath, Buried Grappenhall.  Bowdon is about 4 miles east of Lymm

There is a marriage at Lymm 3 Jan 1793 Batch M13069-1 William Hampson to Mary Perrin both of Lymm

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Hampson & wife Harriet family grave.
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Runcorn Town Cemetery, Greenway Road, Runcorn.  Photo taken c 2005

Offline frankray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 May 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
Runcorn Town Cemetery James & Harriett Hampson family grave:  Photo taken c 2005

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
James and Harriet Hampson were my great great Grandparents. Harriet is the lady seated in this photo - the man is her son in law James Brocklebank, my great Grandfather who's also buried there.
The other names on the headstone are Sarah Jane Brocklebank (James' wife, my great grandmother who is the other lady in the photo) and Annie Lightfoot (nee Hampson, Sarah Jane's sister)

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Hampson & wife Harriet family grave.
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
I have posted a photo of the people buried there in my "Hampson family - Runcorn watermen" post  ;D

Moderator comment: I've merged the 2 topics now so all the information is together